Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training Help!

Hi guys! Just wondered if I could get a bit of advice on potty training really. With my first daughter, it was pretty smooth, she took to it really well although she wasn't trained until about 2 and a half. She did wees really well but struggled with poo and had this horrendous habit of throwing poo out her nappy all around the room. Yuck! But by 2 and a half, she was pretty much potty trained and she never wet through the night.

Now my youngest daughter is nearly 22 months and about 2 months ago she started realising what it felt like to need a poo and started sort of saying "poo" when she needed to go and so we owuld whip off her nappy and she'd willingly sit on the pot and do a poo and it was all good. But recently, she's just stopped telling us that she needs it and not only that, it's like she's developed a serious dislike of the potty and if I even take her nappy off she panics and cries. Is this normal? I'm not sure how to approach the whole potty training thing now, it was so different and a lot easier the forst time and now Tia (youngest) seems to run a mile the second the potty is mentioned. Any advice would be brilliant!

Replies

• Options

Maybe leave it a few weeks and try again.I always just go cold turkey with the nappy/potty thing and arm myself with dettol for the inevitable accidents and Smarties for the successes.

My kids have all been around 2  andit's just a case of this is what's happening and we crack it in a couple of weeks without  too much stress.If it's causing your daughter so much upset it might be worth waiting a few weeks and trying again.Your daughter asks for the potty herself if she's been used to using it.

My 20 month old has just discovered the joys of poo.We had it all over the front room and playroom yesterday while Daddy was supposed to be looking after her,and today poor Tinkywinky got a plastering while I was fetching clothes.So disgusting.Hope nobody's eating right now cos she does eat it tooimage.

Can't wait to get her trained.

• Options

Thanks for the advice! I have wooden floors on the sitting room so it's easy and quick to clean it up which is great and I have no issue with her running around nappyless to help her, but she seems to panic as soon as the nappy is taken off which is worrying me a bit. She sort of stands there with her legs open going "oh, oh oh" and looking down in a shocked sort of way as if it's not meant to be off. I think it could maybe be a comfort thing, she's used to her nappy after all.

Zoe (my oldest) was absolutely horrendous with the poo thing. It would end up everywhere and although she wouldn't eat it, it would just end up spread everywhere. I used to just strip her and stand her under the shower because it was that bad, but thankfully she grew out of it just about as soon as she started and now she laughs about it when I tell her!!