Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

night time potty traing...Help!

My 3 year old son has been great in the day time with going to the toilet or potty, so i thought i'd try to get him out of the nappies at night aswell, i've put a potty in his room so he can get used to the idea of getting up and going on that, hes been greatwith his pull-ups on... i stuck to the same bed time routine other than taking the pull-ups off but every night since hes just screamed and demanded his nappy back...the screaming will last for hours if i dont give in..please help...any advice would be great..

Replies

• Keep the pull ups on for a while longer maybe.Try again in a few months with his "permission".Talk him into it,so he thinks it's the coolest thing.

You can buy reusable pull ups,more like real pants,but not as absorbant,as a sort of weaning him off idea,but if he's attatched to his pull ups he might not go for that.

Do you have a night light,or a light your son can put on to see his way to the potty.

When I've done toilet training at night I've always just waited till the pull ups come off dry in the morning.Lifting them at the time you go to bed may help.it might just get them in the habit of going at that time.

Bribery is always and option,whether it's a sticker chart with a special treat as a prize,or sweets,or whatever you use.

• i would wait a few months & try again, but when the pull up is dry maybe make a deal & let him know he is managing to stay dry, just incase he has the worry of bedwetting in the back of his mind
  • Thanks for the adive! image hes still wearing the pull ups at night for now, but is getting up in the night to go to the toilet and managing to stay dry alot longer! image