Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

help - potty training advice?

hi,

we are starting to potty train our 2 year old girl. She is 'ticking all the boxes' as such for being ready so we took the lunge, read all the books, got all the stuff and started yesterday like it said with giving her big girl pants, reading potty books with her (which she loves), stickers and all...

She tells us when she wants to wee, she sits on the potty and also likes the loo seat on the toilet too (we let her choose which one she wants to sit on) and then it all goes wrong - she gets upset sitting on it longer than 2 mins even though she doesn't go. She then wants cuddles for a while and her nappy back on.

I do not want her getting a fear or getting constipated (so far today she has said she needs a poo and will repeat the above but nothing comes out. she is getting very upset...

I have no idea what to do - the books don't say what to do if they refuse to let loose (so to speak...)

Any tips?

would you say this is a sign that she is infact not ready? would you forget the whole thing for a few weeks/months then try again? or is that very confusing?????

Help please, my mum is useless at telling me what to do as when she potty trained us she had us sitting on a potty at 6 months after each meal. None of my friends have babies older than my little girl to give me advice and I don't find the books are helping with this.

help! xxxx :?

Replies

• The first time I tried with my little girl (around the same age as I recall) she did exactly the same, would sit on it but wouldn't actually do anything and would get upset if I pushed her.

I decided to leave it another month or so then tried again, the same happened so I left it till after the New Year ( she was 2 yrs 4mths) and it was done and dusted within 2 days. No pull ups and more importantly, very few accidents ( I can count on 1 pair of hands the number of accidents she's had since then which is over 16 mths). She was also dry at night 2 weeks after this and has never had a nighttime accident.

I would personally leave her for another month or so then try again, there's no real point in rushing it as she's still quite young.

xx
  • Before I started training my ds I let him have lots of half naked time and let him use the potty as he needed and he just got used to it that way. x
  • thanks for your advice, that all makes sense leaving it and just letting her have naked time and exploring it all for herself,

however,

my next question - today, after deciding to just leave it for a month or so before trying again, she has asked every time she needs a wee to sit on the loo. She will really happily take trouser down, take off nappy, sit on loo but then does nothing, then gets upset and wants nappy on. she is the one who keeps telling me she needs to wee and asking to go on the loo - do we say 'do it in your nappy' or do we keep letting her try because she wants to? is it very confusing for her having a nappy yet using the loo??????

sorry for all the questions, it is worrying me that I am doing it wrong....

thanks xxx