Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty Training Challenge - Starting From Scratch group

Replies

• UPDATE

So far day one of potty training not going too well. Stephen is in a terrible mood and got very angry with his potty, throwing it against the wall and eventually taking it back upstairs into the bathroom. He seems frustrated when he sits on the potty and nothing happens. Then every time I suggested going on the potty he told me no nothing will come out. He did have an accident which upset him.

He's in a pull up now as he's napping, will decide whether to go back into pants depending on his mood when he gets back up.
  • Update

well this is our first potty traing input as Tilda has had a really bad stomach upset for the last three dats. So we have started today - well we have had quite a few accidents and the only action the potty has seen today is as a hat! Well roll on tomorrow and hopefully a more successful day..............
  • *Update*

Day one!

So after much debating, Boo chose himself a thomas potty, and toystory pants.. Today, we have managed to do some wee's in the potty, but he will NOT sit on it?!! He stands and holds himself to pee in the potty..is this good?! Well it's all wee in the potty so I guess so!!  He tried to sit on the potty to poo, but ran off and pooed in a corner of the garden before i could get to him.

He's been really bad tempered this afternoon, and is refusing to wee anywhere!! This seemed to happen after he had two accidents, which i dealt with by saying 'oh dear, never mind lets take those off'... Its almost as though he's upset? I feel upset but only because I can feel his frustration and I feel like bad Mummy making him do it!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive! 

• Mash, that's great news! X

Celticstar, when Tyler first peed on the floor I told him "peepee is sad, it wants to go in the potty and then go to the big loo with all the other pees". Now he says bye-bye pee every time it gets flushed lol. I'm sure your little girl will get to grips with it soon.x

Kirsty, another one doing well! image x

Nitha, maybe try again when Stephen is in a better mood. If hes tired/grumpy he will just protest! X

Ej1712, glad your LO is on the mend. X

Dodo21, I think its great! Standing to pee means if you are out in public you're likely to find it easier when he needs to go! (find a discreet tree lol) Also he can pee in public loos without having to sit! Well done little man! X

UPDATE

Tyler sat on our toilet, didn't pee on it but he's been generally scared to get on it all so this is a good step! No accidents today so all going well image Xx
  • Hello everyone, I have been following this from the beginning but have put off starting potty training my DD until this coming Saturday as I have a few days off work. Unfortunately I am planning an all day trip on Sunday so not sure how that's going to work! My DD, Annie, is 2.5yrs.
  • If she is not too poorly give it a go! She would probably prefer to run around bare as then she would not have clothes rubbing on the spots. 
  • Update

A bad day! Sinead had three accidents this morning at nursery.  They said she got involved in what she was doing.  Hope tomorrow is better!

• UPDATE

Am absolutely exhausted! We've convinced Stephen not to worry about nothing happening on the potty/toilet, however I suspect a few of his toilet visits have been purely to get a chocolate button image

He's now nappyless and pantless, has had one accident which didn't upset him like the accident in his pants.

Tomorrow is toddler group so I'll use pull-ups for there and perhaps nothing when we get home afterwards.
  • UPDATE

Hi All,

Well, potty training with Ella (2 years old) is going well (touchwood!). When she needs a wee she just takes herself off to the potty then does the business! We have also been out of the house without nappies (have taken the potty) and she has told me when she needs a wee. The only issue we seem to have at the moment is that she will not use the potty for her poos! She will do them anywhere but on her potty (luckily we have a wooden floor in the lounge!) Im not really sure what to do about this, does anybody have any tips? She is also still very wet at night time but Im not overly concerned about that at this stage - one step at a time!

Eloise and Ella image
  • UPDATE - sorry its been a while since i posted. I have been full of tonsilitis. so Isabelles Daddy had his first full day yesterday of being in charge of supervising Isabelle on the potty. She did really well doing her first poo in the potty without any on the carpet!!

Tomorrow she will have been dry for wee's during the day for a week!! I am so proud of her. I think that I am going to take her to choose a present as a reward. She loves having her pants on, although sometimes prefers to be naked.

Sebastian on a good note wants to have a go every evening now to do a wee in the potty at night which he does successfully. Then he proudly says wee wee done, nappy now!! ready for bed! so funny. So for those of you struggling hang in there , it really does all come when they are ready.

Bye for now, Bernie, Isabelle and Sebastian xx
  • Update - well not too sure how well we are doing with tis - Tilda took her nappy off herself this morning but promptly weed on a blanket and has since held it all in.  I have put her in a nappy for her daytime sleep and am expecting to find a very full nappy now!  Here's hoping this afternoon goes a bit better!
  • UPDATE

Well today has been quite good so far, Sophie decided to go to the potty for a poo all by herself, she is loving being a 'big girl' She keeps saying to me 'like mammy' when she is on the potty lol. She also says knickers like mammy too bless her, its cute.

We have had an accident in the garden though, she wee'd on the path but I just said never mind and squirted some disinfectant down lol
  • UPDATE:

Tylers new pants arrived today. He absolutely loves them! He put 2 pairs on and one pair on his head! I knew Toy Story would do the trick! He's been wearing a pair since lunch and has peed twice in his potty. He finds it a little tough pulling them up/down so I am helping him if he's stuck. The training pants look good, should he useful tomorrow as we are out all day at our beach hut! Perfect no-carpet potty training territory! I will let you know how tomorrow goes, eek! Xx
  • UPDATE

Well today we've printed off the Huggies Cars potty training chart as an extra incentive. As I had a lot to do about the house and it was toddler group, Stephen has been using pull-ups. He has been telling me as soon as he's done a poo, which isn't usually his style! Once daddy gets home from work we'll strip him down for a bit to have some practice using the potty and then try a full day without clothes tomorrow!

It's really difficult to manage potty training and housework, not sure how to do both - any suggestions?
  • *UPDATE*

A Bad day today... we have so far have only managed one wee in potty and that was only because Mummy shoved it under at the right time.. 

Boo is in an awful mood, and will not put a nappy on but not wee either..then he has major accidents which make him even more grumpy. I feel frustrated, but trying to focus on the fact that it is only day two, and yesterday Boo was really overexcited when Daddy got home and took him to show him how he could use the potty (Daddy had a demonstration involving a big wee!) so it's all ok, just a bad day today. 

Nitha, the only housework I seem to be getting done (apart from carpet cleaning!) is involving the bathroom or kitchen where Boo is quite happy to entertain himself with either his bath toys on the floor or dried pasta and pots to 'cook' with. Everything else just is not happening..infact pizza for dinner tonight I think!

• I feel like I've got a newborn again!!! Who would have thought toilet training was so difficult? I think I found getting a degree easier!!!
  • It's a lot of hard work at first,I don't envy any of you that,but the gaps between potty trips get longer as they get more  used to it.

I used to take the potty with me,and get the trainee helping where possible,just so I could keep an eye where I needed to.If it was on the carpet I had it one an old terry nappy,an old towel will do.I was upstairs folding washing one day I didn't do this and Matilda proudly brought me her potty with wees and poos in,of course slopping and depositing its contents along the way.Which was lovely.Not easy doing a happy dance while kicking yourself for such a silly mistake.

Dodo,it is still only day 2,it won't happen over night.Try not to stress too much.It'll happen.Well done your hubby demonstrating.My hubby's contribution was "why is there poo/wee on the floor?"It's great for everyone to be involved in a positive wayimage.

Julz,a beach hut!So jealous.Hope you have a sunny dayimage.Good to hear pants on is working.

• Haha i feel the need to clarify it was Boo who wee-ed in the potty not Daddy!! 

Thanks for your feedback TheOldwomanwholivesinashoe, it really helps hearing from someone who has been there and done that but in a positive way (my friends all make out their children were potty trained as if by magic overnight..- clearly not the case but I'm naive!) makes all the accidents seem bearable!

• Update Whoops don't know what just happened - pressed enter and it posted! Anyway, yesterday I picked Sinead up from nursery and put a pull up on for travelling. She went to the toilet before I put it on and then we wlaked to the bus stop (a 20 minute wak at her pace). Just before we got there she said "My potty" so we nipped into the internet cafe and used their toilet.  This is her first real use of a (semi) public toilet!  I was so proud of her because she had to hold on a few minutes for us to get there. image