Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty Training Challenge - Starting From Scratch group

Replies

• Wow Claire, that's great!

UPDATE:

We have spent the day at out beach hut. It's a 1.5hr drive so we put Tyler in a nappy. Hes used his potty all day. Initially he was a bit dubious but soon took to it. I'm a proud Mummy! Xx
  • Update

Sinead is at her nanna's today.  she went out at about 12 in knickers.  I am just waiting for her to come home so that I can find out how she's done.

Just to clarify - she did have other clothes on to! lol image

• UPDATE:

Today Stephen went to a party so we separated potty training into two blocks; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We had one accident (a poo on the floor) and a wee on the toilet in the morning and one in the potty in the afternoon. Stephen got three chocolate buttons each time he weed in the potty/toilet. We also put stars on the star chart. He didn't wear pants, just naked bottom half which I think he finds easier. He also asked to use the toilet at the party but then changed his mind.

Tomorrow we're going to do the 'blocks' again as we're taking daddy out for father's day. Probably try an hour or so in the morning and then perhaps half an hour before bath-time.
  • Update

Isabelle went to a family party with my husband today and was dry all day. Her aunty and my husband kept asking her. She did have an accident yesterday in the car on the way home from nursery. My fault I forgot to ask her if she needed the potty before our 10 min journey home and i had been to talking to her nursery nurse for a while. So she told me as she was having a wee in the car seat and got upset. I told her it was ok and mummy should have asked before we left nursery. So i can't put that accident down to her. Also on Friday Isabelle fell asleep on me before nap time, so as I didn't want to disturb her I put her straight in her cot without putting some pull ups on and when I checked her after half an hour she was ok, but when she called me when she had woken up, she had wet the bed. So i had to strip the bed, mattress etc. Luckily it was a hot sunny day so it was all dry in time for bedtime, but it gave me an inkling into what will/may happen when we try training at bedtime. Will have to out a waterproof mattress cover on the bed.
  • Update

Sinead came home in the same knickers she went out in so she did really well.  She had a twelve hour sleep so her nappy wasn't dry this morning but she did ask to go when she needed to.  she is in knickers and slippers at the moment - might get her dressed later - not sure if we are going out.

• UPDATE

No potty use today. Did two blocks but neither time he went. He also felt unwell during the second block so nappied up earlier!

Tomorrow will send both pull-ups and pants to nursery to give them the option of using either. Hoping he will be keener to try there as his friends are now all toilet trained and I know he's keen to be a big boy like them!
  • Nitha, don't feel discouraged by an off day.  The better days will follow.  Good idea about sending pants to nursery - Sinead's nursery are great at encouraging her and report back to me so that I can make a fuss about good days.
  • Update: Our first day, Saturday, went really well - wees in the potty 5 times and on the floor twice (and neither time it was my floor!). Yesterday, Sunday, was a right-off - we went on a day trip to a nearby island (herm) for father's day and Annie doesn't like her portable potty and she doesn't like public toilets either so she ended up in nappies most of the day.

Today I think we are venturing out to Talent Tree, so think I will put her only pair of training pants on and see what happens. Fingers crossed!
  • Jesse has been doing extremly well we have had odd accident at night but when we have gone out for the day she is totally dry and asking for the toilet which is fab lets hope she carries on like this.

Hope every one else is getting on ok, image

• Update

Stephen didn't use the toilet at nursery at all today, but got the feeling they didn't really try with him!

One thing I have noticed is that he always stands in the bath and does a wee the second he gets in. He points out the wee to me just in case I don't notice!
  • Update

Success!!  A total dry day.  I bought Sinead a pair of training pants for the bus journey home.  She weed at nursery, she weed again before we got on the bus, she weed in the bus station (having to wait for someone to unlock the door to the baby change toilet, as the ladies were closed for cleaning!) and I took them off of her when we got home and put a pair knickers on.

We're not ready to try the morning journey yet but this is a great step forward. Yea!

• UPDATE

We have been dry today completely with no accidents!!!! I'm sure its a fluke but I am really proud of my big girl. She even went and got her potty because she needed a poo which she hadn't done yet, she usually tells me she's 'going' as she's doing it.
  • Well done everyone image This is such a lovely forum thread. Fingers crossed for today...
  • Hi everyone

haven't posted for awhile, not much to update really, Maisie continues to be dry when she is awake. She'll go use the potty on her own and even (TRY!!) and empty it into the toilet......

Next thing is no nappy at naps/night time. I think this is a long way off though! 

• *UPDATE*

Feeling a little dispondent, as we now have a cold and Boo is not using the potty at all, he sits on it when he needs to go, then gets up and goes into a corner claiming he doesn't need a wee...then wees.. aragh!!!!!!!! I'm hoping it's just where he feels poorly, have put him in nappies this afternoon and he hates it, every little wee he has done he has cried and taken the nappy off. Bad Mummy..Daddy very frustrated, have had to explain that getting cross will not help, but it's the instant reaction 'Oh no!! What have you done!!' which is not helping!! image

Fresh start tomorrow, hopefully we'll be feeling better, will try a different tactic..not sure quite what yet though!

• Update: not going so well at the moment. At home (and half naked) Annie is almost perfect, but as soon as I put clothes on her and go anywhere it's as if potty training doesn't exist! So far today she weed in Boots (sorry to anyone shopping there today!) and also at the health visitors.

At the HVs she was in Boots training pants so only a bit made it on to the floor. The health visitor suggested taking her out wearing a dress and no pants at all, and told me not to use training pants ever. However I don't get on well with health visitor advice - and I dread to think of the mess if Annie weed in a shop wearing only a dress and no pants at all - so have ordered a couple of Bright Bots training pants to put on when we go out.

I am starting to feel like we are never going to leave home voluntarily again, or at least not for the next 5 years or so!
  • Things have gone from bad to worse in our house and Keavney is refusing to use the potty image

Have decided to step back and not push her with it, have potty's left out in all rooms and I leave her nappy free but will try again in earnest in a few days....we are getting one of teh potty books so that might help 

• Leave therm nappy free as long as they need it.If they can't cope with clothes back on,then they're not ready for clothes back on.Let them be fully confident in getting to the potty nappy free before you start asking the next step of them.I don't even think about reintroducing clothes before a fortnight of nappy free.Much rather lots of successes and praise and rewards than upsets over accidents.No clothes is a clear reminder I have no nappy on,I need to go,I need to go somewhere and it's so much easier.It all takes time,they need lots of practice,this is something new they're learning,so if pants off works at home,give them the time to perfect the artimage

If you do have to go out a pullup won't hurt,reusable or disposable,you're probably going to need them at night.If you have to use them you need to treat them as pants,the message being we don't wee in them,but in the back of your mind you can be reassured you're not going to have a puddle in the queue at the bank.I used them at first,just till I was confident in my little one managing .We go to the loo before we leave,as soon as we get there,before we leave to come home,and as soon as we get home.They were just a sort of safety net really.The problem with pull ups is if you just leave them in them all day,and they just use them as a nappy.Once they have the hang of being potty trained ,and provided you treat them as pants,more often than not they'll come off dry.

Dodo,he's probably feeling rotten and doesn't know what he wants,try not to worry.If he doesn't want the nappy on,let him be nappy free.If he's feeling rough though,don't be expecting much.Yeh tell Daddy off,but I know it's the first thing you think,but it really is an accident.Try  oh no.Shall we clean that up?I'm sure it's a Daddy thing.Hope Boo's feeling better soon.

• Hello! Update from us is that we're still not going very well. He's happy to sit on the potty and tries hard to do something on it but nothing in it yet. When he does have an accident he tells me. I remember getting to this stage with my first and I just needed him to tell me just before he did something instead of while he was doing something.

I know it's ideal to stay at home in the early days of potty training but with two other children it's unavoidable going out. When we go out I put one of those nappies on him where they're meant to feel wet but they don't really work with him. Being shorter on time than I was with my first is definitely a hinderance, but I still think he's ready and understands what he's doing. Just need  something in the potty and he'll get going then I think.

• Update:
    Sorry for the pack of update but I came down with a nasty case of Tonsilitis and am just getting better!

Potty training is going well. He still loves his pants. Today we have been playing in the garden so I put him in shorts, no pants, I think one layer is enough at the minute! He has told me when he needs to go and not fussed over having to take bottoms off. I help him get them down, he does the business, and I pull them up, pretending that I can't do it on my own so he has to help lol. No accidents today. Yesterday he peed a little in his pants but came straight to me. I took them off and he finished in the potty! It's going very well. We have had the odd venture out nappy free and no accidents yet! He cried this morning as I dropped his sticker chart down the back of the sideboard and can't get it out until OH is home. So stickers are now going on the potty itself which he quite likes.

EMILY. Have you watched him closely to see how he acts right before he peed? Tyler tends to look at his bits for a second, or he will poke it. Sometimes he does a little wiggle. If I see him do any of that I get him straight to the potty and catch it just in time. Also, I ask t to listen sometimes to see if he can hear the pee coming... Getting concentrated on something else can help. Sorry I don't really have any more tips as I'm new to this really Xx.