Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training Challenge - 'Fear of Something' group

Replies

• Options

Hello all

After about a month of being nappy free except at sleep times my little boy is almost always successful at using the potty for wees, with just an occasional accident, but refuses to poo in it, waiting instead until minutes after he's come off the potty before sleep time and has a nappy on in his cot... any tips for how to get him to do them in the potty?  He obviously has some bowel control to wait until he's in a nappy!!

Thanks

• Options

Some children are worried about that first poo in the potty ,it does feel different to them, so the nappy is comforting to do it there.Obviuosly as you say your little boy has some control to hold it for his nappy.

Maybe change the nappy for pullups,call them sleeping pants.He may still use them as a nappy,but when he does just say oh no,it's in your bi boy sleeping pants,don't be cross,just oh dear,we do it in the potty.Pull ups come apart a the side,they have a sort of velcro so they're easy to change without it going all down the legs,apologies for visual imagery,but they are as easy as a nappy to clean up.Empty poo into the potty and take it to the loo and clean your little one.Have him help with the emptying,flushing,so he's becoming familiar with it.

Also put the pull up on a little before bedtime so he's up and you're with him,so you can spot potential signs and have potty ready,for example storytime.Be reassuring and very very excited if he produces something,even the size of a raisin,every time they go,they're becoming more familiar and relaxed about it.

Tis is where I have an advantage because I realise now that what is a massive drama this week is anoh I 'd forgotten he/she did that in just a few weeks.He's doing so well,he's really nearly thereimage.

• Options

Thanks, I'll definitely try putting the poo in the potty and emptying it as normal as he really enjoys helping empty it when he's wee'd there and loves flushing the toilet, so maybe that will help reinforce where it's meant to be.

At the mo we just put the nappy on immediately before he goes in the cot and take it off as soon as he comes out as we want him to associate wearing his pants with all the time he's not in his cot, but maybe if he doesn't improve we'll put one (or training pants) on a bit before.  It's difficult as he doesn't really give any signs that he needs a poo, he just does it!

• Options

Update

Hi Everyone,

Today was just like yesterday really, sat on potty when asked and did a wee everytime. Was being extra observant with him today as knew a poo was imminent. We went to a soft play area in the afternoon and unfortunately whilst out of sight he did a massive poo and I only knew when he sat on my lap to go down the slide! Changed him without much fuss and then let him carry on playing.

We went out for a dog walk just before tea time and he weed himself so we had to come home but that was just down to bad timing, perhaps I should be getting him on potty more, trying not to keep going on at him as sensed he was getting fed up of me asking.

Just before bathtime I could see a funny look on his face and got him to potty quickly and he did another poo, he kept standing up so had to insist he sit down and finish! Got all the flags out and took him to bathroom to do flush and wash hands.

We dont seem to be making much progress really, he is happy to go on potty when asked most of the time but not too bothered if he has an accident. I am happy to continue but not sure how long I should persevere for until he gets it image

• Options

UPDATE

Ethan is still sitting on the toilet happily, but still no sign, we are just going to have to keep persevering.

He had a major tantrum this morning when I tried to put his 'big boy Thomas' pants on, he has happily worn them in the past when we have tried the training but this time big no no. Seeing as it was a nice day I let him roam in the garden pants-free and kept the potty out there (just in case!) with frequent trips to and from the bathroom (doing wonders for my thighs!!image).

Hoping tomorrow I will be able to update you with further progress *fingers crossed*

Well Done to everyone else, some great progress!!

• Options

hi Oldwomanwholivesinashoe,

thanks for ur advise. i'm glad to hear that kids do wet in bed for a period of time. he will be nappy-free in the garden! i really no fancy cleaning! sorry!

update:

he managed to pee twice on his training pants today. Partly because our car broken down just outside the car service garage and we got struck for 1 hours while waiting for  someone to send us home. Lucky we didnt broke down in the middle of the road!!!!!

At night, he refused to wear his pull up pant! image He wanted to wear his usual nappy! got no choice but to let him have it cause he is making a big fuss and we worried that he might puke (due to his reflex - now is once/twice a month he will puke when he is too work up)!

nursery day tommorow. so wont have any update.

Thanks, susie! I will get him a star chart.

• Options

Chloeburg,keep persevering,you're having as many hits as misses.It takes time,patience and perseverance,so keep doing what you're doing.It's early days,it is just days,think how much practice they needed learning to walk,we just weren't dealing with poop.That trying to stand up when pooing sounds familiar,it's just part of learning how it feels,and learning what they're doing.

Don't worry if you do have accidents.Softplay's far more interesting than potties.Happy to go on the potty is good,and you don't want them stressing over accidents,they are just mistakes.We seemed to have days where I'd think we'd had no accidents we must be over that now,then another day she'd wet three or four times.All getting used to it,and it's all progress even if you have to initiate it.If I was busy I'd often forget to keep reminding her,and I'd often get there too late.We still have the occasional accident  but they often aren't 100% reliable without reminders for a while.

Every wee or poo in the potty is progress,even though it might seem it's taking over your days,it soon just becomes normal,they're that used to doing it.It's a long term thing ,over time you'll find they're relying less on you and just get there themself,some are quicker than others,you just have to help them towards that

Happy pottying,and well done.You're all doing so well.

• Options

Update

Sorry late in updating this

Wednesday

He refused to use our little potty this morning for his daddy on getting up same  not big answer. However he did 3 wee's a nursery on their big potty during the day. I think it helps that there are a couple of other boys starting potty training at nursery so he feels part of the gang and announces to everyone when  he has been. He then did two wee's and got his smartie reward on the evening before bed for me and he was just lapping up the praise and wanted to phone his grandpa to tell him and told him on the phone "did big wee on potty"

Thursday

Again refused to use the potty for hubby this morning but did two wee's on the potty in an hour and a half before we went to play group.Unfortunately we also had a poo on the floor when i went to the toilet.  I had him in a nappy for play group ( I wasn't brave enough to risk pants this week at playgroup) He refused to do a wee when offered the potty at playgroup (it was a normal size potty) We then went to Mothercare and bought him a chair potty he loved trying them all out sitting on them making weeing noises!!

This afternoon we had an afternoon at home and he has been without nappy pants or anything this afternoon he initially wore his new Mr men pants but then took them off. However we have had great success this afternoon he has done 4 wee's in the potty and he actually held one in and danced around a bit as someone had come round to do a quota for some work on the house as soon as this guy went he took himself to his new potty chair and did a big wee.

Very pleased with the progress he is making I am not sure if its me being more determined and brave or seeing his friends using the potty or both but I am keeping my fingers crossed we can continue with this progress

Jillycat x

• Options

Update

Ethan was at childminders today but did all wees on potty and toilet when requested, not one accident. Again no poo today but know he will go when he is ready, not so worried about that now that I know he will go eventually!

Got him home and took pants off and told him if he needed poo or wee that he must use potty. He was quite engrossed watching tv and sat on his bean bag and suddenly got up and sat on his potty and did a wee, my husband and I were ecstatic and he looked at us as if to say "I only had a wee, no big deal". 

I do feel  we are getting there slowly which is fine by me, im sure the poos will come in time. I do feel that my expectations were too high as you see so many books "potty training in 3 days" etc and its quite a lot of pressure to get them dry as you always think your child is the last one to do it. At the end of the day they are all different and they all get there eventually in their own way and in their own time. 

There is no going back for us now and im glad that I feel more positive about it all. Fingers crossed we have another good day tomorrow and that elusive poo makes an appearance   image

• Options

update:

Day 4

I'm so happy that he woke up this morning at 6am and tell me he wants to wee in the potty! He did it but manage to spray on to the floor (he is sitting down). 

so can anyone tell me where can i get a potty seat with high front (to prevent pee from coming out)?

didnt have much update as he went to nursery! fingercross! hope he will be able to wear his big boy pant soon and not wet himself!

• Options

Well done to your little man ET.

We had this problem with little boys.Best I can say is sort of gently tuck him in.Some potties are better than others.Mothercare has a huge selection,but this is what we have

http://www.babythings4u.co.uk/item/buy-tommee-tippee-saddle-potty--yellow-uk

That sort of shape so the front  helps keep it from spraying.There are a lot of similar shaped potties,we were caught out with my now 5 year old,so we bought this and problem solved.Again find a similar shape for a loo seat,if you plan on using one of those.There's some freebies for testing on this site so look at those first .You can also teach your little boy to sit backwards and aim as he becomes more of an expert.

It might also be worth looking at getting a stool so your little one can find their way to the big loo if they choose.If there's a sibling using the big loo or even copying you,they may just give it a go out of curiosity.

• Options

Hey theoldwomenliveintheshoes!!!

Thanks for your advise! That potty looks good. I will try it. I bought 6 potty now from tesco, bargains shop, ebays, boots, mothercare ...

Kieran is my first child. But he didnt want to copy us. We did try to tell him but he is very sensitive if we touch his bits. We also taught him to dab his bits after his pee.

Update on Kieran:

Did pee on potty twice but his training pants wet before he get there!

To prevent his pee from spraying outside the potty, I placed some tissue paper infront of the potty! It does help! But I might want to get new potty!!

Chat to you all soon!

• Options

Had tried Huggies training pant (night time) and pampers training pant (easy up). Both of the nappies leak at nighttime. Does anyone had the same problem? Or is it my son just pee a lot during the night???

Huggies should do the work as it is for night time but it leaks! Pampers brand, i think is for day time. Do anyone notice the different?

cheers,

eileen

• Options

Update:

Friday

Well a mixture of ups and downs today.

Marcus still doesn't like the potty first thing when he wakes up is all no and not big I managed to take his nappy and pj bottoms off sit with him on my knee for a few minutes then transfer him to the potty chair and he then did a big wee. His nappy was only a little bit wet which I was surprised about as he is normally very soggy in the morning.

Whilst on the way back from shopping in the car he pipped up need wee I asked him if he could hold it in and he said yes he managed to hold it in for the 5 minutes till we got back home and did it straight away on the potty which I thought was fab.

He also managed to do two poo's on the potty yesterday which was his first one so again a few smarties and lots of High fives for being good.

He had one accident in the afternoon whilst playing and wet his pants and shorts which he didn't like and got a little upset about but was easily reassured it was OK.

So a good day yesterday with a few firsts x 

• Options

UPDATE

Apologies, this update is going to be short but sweet as we have a very busy weekend.

Wooohoooo Friday was very eventful!! Ethan did a wee on the toilet, and after much coaxing and some strategic smarties (thanks Oldwomaninashoe) he is proudly wearing his Thomas pants today! The smarties idea has definately got a thumbs up from us!!

• Options

UPDATE

Friday was pretty much same as Thursday as Ethan at childminders all day. She caught all his wees on potty and was extra vigilant as knew he was due a poo! When I collected him at tea time we sat him on toilet before leaving and he finally did his poo! We cheered and applauded and he seemed quite pleased with his accomplishment.

This morning was going fine when I suddenly noticed he was stood in conservatory in the wee position (legs open and looking down) and it was too late he had done a massive wee all over the floor. I explained that he must tell mummy when he needs a wee and how important it was he get to the potty and not wee his pants, jeans and trainers! 

We have been out to park for afternoon and had no accidents, sat on potty once without fuss. When we got home I stripped him off and noticed he kept holding his bum. I kept asking him if he needed a poo but he said no. Suddenly he announced "poo coming out bum" and we raced to potty and he produced one! I felt so proud and he was so pleased, he carried the potty to the toilet and threw the contents down the toilet with such achievement and I finally felt we had turned a corner until literally as I was typing this he crouched down on the carpet with his pants on and weed. image

I know the poo was a momentus achievement but felt it was very short lived with the weeing on the carpet straight after. I am about 6 weeks into potty training and am starting to feel agitated about the accidents now and have started to tell him it is naughty as I feel he should be getting it by now. I know this is wrong and really do feel if the next week is the same that I am going to give up for now as feel like my patience are wearing thin and know this will not help matters. image

• Options

ET we use huggies pull ups.Make sure he doesn't drink last thing,and does  a wee before he goes to bed.Other than that could just be the way they fit or the size.I know some nappies fit some children better than others,but I have used large for my chunky two year old but the same size fitted her much slimmer sister.Mine don't say night time on them.Just realised there  are pull ups that just say pull ups and some say nightime.Don't know if there's a difference in how absorbancy as we only use the  ordinary pull ups and we don't leak.That might help

• Options

Chloeburg,we have those moments.It's very trying,but there will be accidents,usually as soon as you think you're past it,and certainly if you say it out loud.Don't lose heart,you've come a long way.

I was thinking jeans ,pants and trainers,that's a lot to take off when he's in a hurry.Maybe be extra vigilant on pre empting an accident if you think something maybe imminent and there's clothing to deal with.I've still not put dresses and skirts on Matilda since she's been trained unless I can do it for her,because I know  she can't manage that.Wet trainers is a PITA to clean too,I only have one pair each.You'll have good days and bad days.Maybe not "that's  naughty "  but "that's not nice,we don't do that do we".We still have the occasional accident,usually when I'm busy,she's tired or Daddy's  in charge,or if something excitings going on.

He seems comfortable with the poo side of things,is that two days running,that's great.Mostly sounds like you've had a reasonably successful day.

Hope you have a good day tomorrowimage

• Options
    Ah thanks for your nice positive message "oldladywholivesinashoe". I am trying to be patient but finding it really hard after all this time. I know what you are saying about pants,jeans & trainers. I did the first couple of weeks in just elasticated waist shorts but because he still doesnt go for potty or attempt to pull them down I went back to normal clothing, still elasticated waist with no belt. I do wonder if I am trying to run before I can walk. A few people have said to me that boys are harder to potty train than girls and that Ethan is only 26mths which is quite early for a boy. I thought he would get it because his vocabulary is excellent, he can fully communicate with us and he does come to the loo with us and completely gets it just not physically. I have read him Pirate Pete potty book, got him nice big frog potty and lovely Mr Men pants. If you ask him where he wees and poos he says "on potty". He has just not made any attempt to get to potty himself or indicate that he even needs to go and unless I get him on potty regularly then he just goes in his pants. I knew there would be ups and downs but do feel quite despondent about it when I dont seem to be making any progress. I have given him rewards, done a reward chart, given him a toy when he did his poo on the potty but nothing seems to be enough to inspire him. Should I just continue or is there another way of tackling this. image
  • Options

Just keep doing what you're doing.You can see the progress he's making.Even with Matilda I thought somedays maybe it just wouldn't happen.It did,but over time.I keep seeing a link that says potty train your child in three days.Highly unlikely,it takes most of us a few weeks.Okay you can get them semi reiable in a couple of weeks,but you have to remind them,they're so busy and they forget.

The fact that he goes when you do pot him shows you he has some idea of what's being asked.The idea that you do it in the potty has obviously stuck too.Over time it will become the norm.

Maybe go ith easy clothing,easy on/off but also easy wash too.Encourage Ethan to take of the clothes himself at potty times,as well get him to at dressing times to encourage his confidence in that.Maybe try smarties as a reward.We all feel guilty giving them sweets,but one smartie doesn't hurt and it's an instant reward.I weaned them off easy enough after I knew we no longer needed a bribe.That was never a problem.

Some people do say boys are harder to train than girls but I never found this myself.My kids have been 18 months the youngest trained,but prone to accidents for 6 months.21 months completely dry day and night in two weeks,no problem.The others have been more around 24-27  months,all of them taking a few weeks.It's really not been long Ethan's been out of nappies/pull ups

I think it all takes practice.If you need to help him at the moment that's fine.Try to keep it as relaxed and jolly as possible.There's a post  in the accident prone group just found it.This makes alot of sense

IN PARTS OF INDIA IT IS BELIEVED THAT IT TAKES 40 DAYS FOR SOMETHING TO BECOME A HABIT OR INDEED TO BREAK A HABIT SO AS WE ARE TRYING TO BREAK THE HABIT OF NAPPIES & START THE HABIT OF THE POTTY/TOILET DOES IT MEAN IT WILL TAKE 80 DAYS?!!!

quote from a post by loonie.Makes lots of sense.It takes a while learn new habits.

Well good luck tomorrow.imageHope you have a good day