Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Potty Training Challenge - 'Fear of Something' group

Replies

• Just to add.Maybe some more time bottoms free.I always leave them that way for at least two weeks,really get them used to what they're doing before reintroducing pants and then trousers.Let him learn that part first.Easier for both of you.Only bring the clothes back into it when he's mastered that.

• Update

Weekend:

well old lady who lives in the shoe ideas of smarties is definitely working for Marcus and he always looks for one when he has done something and is often encouraged on to the potty with the promise of one if he does something.

The highs of the weekend

Using the potty multiple times during the day taking himself there and when promoted by both myself and my husband. has done both wee's and poos on the potty

The lows

He still gets upset if asked to use the potty first thing in the morning on when woken up from a nap I think it is because it takes him a while often to wake up  and he often just wants a cuddle first thing  on waking both in the morning and in after a nap.

As he spends most of the time without trousers or pants as Old lady lives in a shoe advised he has a few scratches on his legs from playing in the garden.

the times he does wear trousers and pants he often forgets then to go to the potty or is more upset when taken and has his trousers pulled down/ I think it is because it takes longer for him to go and so misses more play time!

When he has worn the trousers and pants he has had a few accidents so not fully got the potty idea as yet I don't think.

Plan for tomorrow as he goes to nursery is for him to go in pants and trousers with several changes of clothes to go with him as i think putting in back into a nappy now bar sleep times would be a backward step really. We will ask the nursery to prompt him a lot to use the potty and a nappy for a nap as he doesn't have control in his sleep yet

xx

• UPDATE

Again, thanks to oldladywholivesinashoe, you have really kept me going and your advice is invaluable especially when it all seems too much. 

Sunday I kept him pants free for a lot of the time and that really does seem to work. I still sit him on potty about every hour and roughly know that he needs a poo about tea time so really watch him at that time. He has started to do what I now call the "poo dance " - he runs around looking all panic stricken shouting mummy and holding his bum! I get him to potty and hey presto he does a poo, obviously he must be recognising the feeling now especially being bare bummed but does not feel comfortable/confident enough to sit himself on potty and go.

Today we had a busy day with toddler group this morning and park this afternoon and not one accident. I have started to use the smartie method and oh yes he will do anything for one! I can get him on potty without hesitation and when he produces he gets another one and he loves it. Again tea time today I took his pants off and sure enough he did the poo dance, got him on potty eventually as he was quite panic stricken and yep he did a massive poo. Shortly after he got himself to potty for a few wees and asked for his smartie which was great, who would think such a small round coloured sweet could work miracles!

I was so pleased that two days running we have caught poos on the potty and he has been dry. I am obviously allowing more pants free time which is helping, being more observant to his actions and using the smartie reward which all seem to be working.He does seem to be able to go for longer without having a wee which is good and the whole time I have been training him he has never weed in the car seat or gone during a nap so fingers crossed we might be getting somewhere. I really hope the rest of the week is as good. Hope you are all making progress too no matter how small image

• The power of smarties I am thinking can't be under estimated Chloeburg

Well today it was the same morning routine of not wanting to sit on the potty first thing and with this being a work day things were more rushed than normal so we did have an accident as we all get ready for work.

He went to nursery in pants and trousers and we asked them to take him to the potty regularly The link doesn't seem to be perfect yet and he did forget several times in the day that he had trousers and pants on and had a few accidents but he also had quite a few goes on the potty too. When i looked at his sheet tonight it was a 50/50 split between accidents and potty use. On coming home he went pants free again and took himself several times too the potty and once with prompting too when he did his poo dance.

So overall I think he is doing well and think he is gradually getting it bar when he gets absorbed in play and forgets.

x

• Glad to hear your little ones are doing well.

Chloeburg,my eldest did a poo dance,just reading that reminded me.Shall have to remind him sometime,he's 11 now he'll be mortified.Nice to know it's coming,I think they just need reassurance when they do it.

Yay for smartie power.Good for practising colours too

• UPDATE

Yesterday was good, spent most of day at home so caught all wees on potty and he spent a lot of time pants free which is a good idea as he can just sit himself on potty and go without any hesitation.

Today was not so good. He was doing the poo dance this morning and knew he probably needed to go as he didn't go yesterday so kept asking him to go to potty and he said no. Eventually got him on potty and he produced nothing so left it at that and within seconds he went into conservatory and crouched down and did a massive wee on the floor. Obviously I was not pleased but still sat him on potty and told him he must not wee on the floor that he must go on potty. 

We then spent some time in the garden and he was wearing pants and I had turned my back for minutes and he had done a poo in his pants which was spotted by my husband. We hadn't realised that he still had not finished and when we took his pants off he crouched down on the patio and did a big poo, yes it was hilarious as I also have dogs and they do the same but I wished I had got the potty to him and at least he could of finished in the potty! 

No more accidents today and he has been going on the toilet this afternoon as I was lucky enough to be selected to trial the bumbo toilet seat which he is very happy to use for the moment and quite likes getting on his step and getting on the seat himself. He is at childminders for next two days so will see how his training goes with someone else. image

• Update

Well we have had a bit more success both Tuesday and Wednesday at nursery he has only had one accident each day and this was when he did a small poo in his pants but then finished off on the toilet but no wee accidents. Both yesterday and today when back from nursery he hasn't had any accidents but he appears to have decide that the wee before his bath is to be done on the toilet seat before he gets into the bath. I personally don't mind this has I think he will then get used to both.

Tomorrow we have playgroup and I am going to be brave on go with pants there I think there maybe a chance of an accident there as he may get to engrossed in play but I will let you know how we get on.

We were lucky to be selected for the car seat liners trial so going to put that through its paces over the next few days too.

• Hi everyone,

I dun have any good updates at the moment. It is quite hard to get the nursery to involve. Anyway, he got so distracted while playing and he forgot he need a wee. Sometimes if he remember, he will go for a wee, sometimes he just wants to wee on his nappy. I'm not brave enough for him to be nappy free. hopefully, we will do something about it this weekend!! finger cross.

chat to you all soon!

• Be brave ET,be brave.It's really not as bad as you think.Just choose a time when you have time.Sounds like he can do it when he wants to so he has some idea of what he needs to do.If the nappy's there,it's just easier to use that.

Good luck.

• UPDATE

Hi Everyone,

Ethan was at childminders for last two days and things were a bit up and down. Thursday he weed his pants twice and did a poo in them. Childminder did admit she could of sat him on potty more promptly and perhaps one of the wees could of been avoided but thats just unlucky really.

Today was better, he did all wees on potty when requested apart from once when he crouched down on childminders carpet and did a wee. When I got him home I removed his pants and he happily sat on potty. He also went into the bathroom and picked up his new bumbo toilet seat, placed it on the loo, got his step and sat himself down much to my amazement. I knew he had not done a poo today so I asked him if he needed to do one and made it sound all very exciting by asking him if he wanted to do a big splashy poo on the big toilet and he was very excited by that and actually did the big splashy poo which pleased both of us immensely!! He was also very keen to share this with Daddy when he arrived home and showed him how he can get onto his toilet seat - clever boyimage

I am planning to spend the weekend at home with lots of pants free time so hopefully we will make some progressimage

• Hi everyone,

So fustrating! He is doing very well at home. But the moment we went out, he forgot he need to go to the toilet!! He still wee in his nappy when we out cos he didnt want to stop playing or shopping!! What am I suppose to do??

• Hi ET

I found I made more progress when I put Ethan in pants as he actually knew he was wet and didn't like it much. Yes its a pain but I just take lots of pants and cotton shorts out with me and change him after an accident. I also make sure that I put him on the potty about every hour especially after food/drink rather than relying on him to remember at this stage. 

Hope this helps image

• Update:

Sorry its been so long since I update this we have had guests staying so it has been harder to get to the internet!

Well overall i think marcus is doing really well we are having some accidents still both at home and at nursery. The accidents are a mixture of poo's at nursery and wee's at home.  He has yet to do a poo on the potty at nursery but is happy to do them at home on either the potty or the toilet and we have always caught it or he has goen him self to do one. Nursery overall are being super and prompting him and being very alert for the signs of him needing to go and asking him.

the accidents at home are generally when he gets absorbed in play and when asked if he needs a wee he says no but the generally within 10 mins he starts to wee himself but always then can stop till we get him to the potty.

On the out and about front i think he is doing quiet well and has used both a potty whilst out or being held over a toilet and gone for a wee then.

He is still in nappies for the night as i don't expect him to hold it but we are trying to be brave re the naps and avoid using nappies then and just put him on the potty when he wakes up. We have had just one accident that way over the past 5 days or so. Night at bed time whilst reading a story he told me he needed a poo so i put him on the potty in his room and he did a wee when i asked if he still need a poo he said no. it was then i realised poo  meant Winne the pooh on his potty and instead of calling it a potty he siad he wanted pooh!!

I don't think we have totally cracked it yet but i think if he keeps this up we will have in another couple of weeks.

Jillycat

• UPDATE

Have not updated for a few days as not much has changed really. Ethan is still using the potty and sometimes the toilet only when asked but does seem to be able to hold on longer and we have not had any wee accidents since before the weekend. He had not done a poo for a couple of days and we were at park for most of day today and I kept asking him and trying to watch him. Unfortunately he was out of sight for a little while and when I went over he had a big poo hanging in his pants and he told me he had done a poo, he had made no attempt to get to me or even get my attention so still working on this.

Ethan has had two dry nappies at night so fingers crossed we may be getting there slowly.

I think Ethan has yet to really understand the need to go before its too late and the concept of getting to the potty himself is a long time coming but I know we will get there any day now so we will just keep going as we are and that magical day is just around the corner im sure image

• hi chloeburg,

tried it (wearing big boy pant)! but .... ... wet himself 4 times today plus poo in nursery!! at home, he is fine  but once he is out, he just dun seems interested to got to the loo. i dun know if he fear going to the loo?? it had been 2 weeks now and he is not making any progress! he is 31 months now!!!

now my problem is how to get him to go to the loo when we are out or in nursery??

cheers,

eileen

• Hi Eileen

Do you wait for him to ask for potty or are you just sitting him on there on a regular basis and catching any that way. Does he fully understand what it is all about and showing some interest in going? The first bit is really hard going if they dont seem to be making any progress. I know I gave up for a couple of days and then tried again. Have you followed the advice from theoldladywholivesinashoe, she really made sense with what she suggested and certainly helped us.

Try to remain positive, it can seem like it really is taking your whole life over and I felt quite a failure when Ethan was not getting it, he will get it eventually, they all do in their own time.

Keep smiling and thank goodness for the dry weather to get all those pants clean and dry! 

• Hi Eileen.

Well done on progress at home.Make sure you're taking him to the potty every ten minutes or so if necessary,and make lots of fuss when he goes.Do you have a reward-Smarties,stickers,buttons,it's an instant reward or a bribe if you like.This sounds silly,but it's suprising how many times a little one can wee for a smartie.I've never had any trouble weaning off the smarties later.

I pants free would help at home try that ,it'll mean less washing,and it's easier when he needs to get there in a hurry.Don't wait for him to tell you he needs to go,take him anyway.

Going out ,obviously you can't take him half naked.Maybe engineer a little trip out,just a short one,get him used to going to the potty before leaving,when he gets there and before leaving,then straight away back at home.Take your potty in a bag,take a roll of loo roll and nappy sacks.You put some loo roll in the bottom of the potty,it soaks up the wee,and you can just wipe the potty out,put the loo roll in your nappy sack,and it's as easy as that to clean up wherever you are.Get him used to using the potty while out,don't put the nappy on.

Nursery is the tricky one.I do think though that as you are paying them to look after your child then they should be taking care of your child according to your instructions.Tell them you need them to take him to the potty,not just let him have an accident,and tell them how well he's doing at home.

I think ditching the nappies altogether will be a big help.It does seem like it takes forever and it seems like such a big thing,but think back to where you were a week ago,look back out your progress and take confidence from that ,you're getting there.It takes a while,and accidents do happen but they get less and less,and you will get there.

Good luckimage

• hi theoldwomenthatlivesintheshoe,

thks for ur tips and encouragement. KIERAN had successfully potty train!!!

Since monday, he is nappy free. one accident at home.

Tuesday, he went to nursery, he got 4 accidents till he run out of clean clothings and shoe! his face got so red and embassess when i got there to pick him up! since then, he is nappy free (except night) and no accident!!!

on wed, we went shopping, he is nappy free and no accident while shopping!!!

on thursday, at nursery, he had no accident except when he went for a nap.

today, he is doing very well while we are out shopping/play group, no accident!!!

finger cross!!

thanks for reading!

• Yay,Kieran,well done,and well done you for persevering.image
  • UPDATE

Ethan has not wet his pants for over a week now but is still not asking to go, just going when prompted so not sure if I can class that as potty trained really.

The poo thing is still an issue for us unfortunately. He does still poo his pants but does tell me if he has gone. 

Is there anything else I could be doing or should I just accept this is going to be quite a long process for us and Ethan will get there eventually. I know dry pants for a week is excellent but was kind of hoping he would be telling me he needed to go by now and even now if I ask him he says no but is quite obliging if I get him to the potty. We have caught a few poos on the potty and toilet but again if he needs to go and I miss the signal he just carries on going regardless.