Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

When to start potty training??

hi ladies,my daughter is nearly 20 months old.when is the best time to start potty training? We have nephews & bought a potty before our daughter was born so they could use it whenever they visited.weve left it in our bathroom & whenever me or my husband go in there with her.she happy to get the potty & sit on it.(with clothes on).we assumed this was a good start.where do you start? is pull ups any good? how do u teach them to go on the potty? sorry if these questions are abit silly.look forward to hearing from you.kind regards kim image

Replies

• My nephew has just turned 2 and they've been potty training a few weeks, to be honest he could have started much earlier as he's a clever little boy but I think it all depends on their development. Good luck image
  • I have a 2 year old and not having much luck he try's n sits but nothing then when we keep diapers off he holds for four hours .only once pampers go back on he does it any advice ?
  • hi im new to this potty training my 2 year old will sit on the potty only on rare ocasions (pot in bathroom) he wont sit on it with out his nappy on i try to get him to sit on it when i go to the loo but normally he wont sit on it even tryed reading him a story on it as he will sit for ages when you read to him any tips thanks

• I am start to give training my boy & he is now 21months.I use a potty chair for him......play with the potty......what i would suggest is to try to make games, read lots of stories, ,,,i dowloaded a great app called potty training learning with the animals....my son loved it and help him a lot!

• I suggest, u can time him or her with every 15min u put the child on the potty and stay with him for about 5min.
  • my little boy is 18 months old and sits on the loo and potty with out any pull ups on, we have started doing this so he gets use to sitting on them, he follows his dad into the loo and will sit on the potty or if he asks to sit on the big boy loo we will put him on, he has done the odd wee in the loo but not the potty, he sits on it for about 5 mins then asks to get down, is this a good sign to start potty training soon? or do you think his still a bit too young? im unsure as this is the first time i will ever had to do any thing like this xx

• Hi my little one is 11 months next week and I'm just wondering if potty training would be a good idea 
  • Hi, have two kids, from our experience. Just several suggestions : 
    1. you need to get acquainted. To do this, just put the baby on the pot and do not require anything else from him.
    2. s
    it the baby at the moment when, as you think, he wants to use the toilet.
    3. p
    ay attention to how the child behaves before going to the toilet. Maybe he becomes moody or, opposite, very quiet, tries to hide, thinks. In the future, this will help you to catch the right moment. 
    4. n
    ever swear, even if, as you think, the baby does by on purpose. Only as a result of long and persistent training, rewards, convictions, a good and good attitude, it will be possible to quickly and without harm to the psychological and physical condition of the child to achieve the desired goal.
    5. t
    o quickly learn with a minimum of mistakes, it is important to fix a certain sequence of actions in the baby’s mind. For example, a baby wakes up, takes his mother by the handle, and sits on a pot.

• Hi I have two girls 17 and 3 the youngest is still in diapers and im planning on keeping it that way. I find it too stressful apical going though it with my oldest. So ive just kept her in diapers. I give my 17 year old $5 per diaper as a allowance.