Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help - when to start?

Hi, I have a 16MO, and I was wondering if anyone could give some tips about how to start potty training and if I can start now?

Replies

• Options

Hi Nicole Brodie and welcome to MadeForMums.

I have two girls - one is nearly 6 and the other 20months.

Honestly I would say 16months seems quite young to potty train, but with these things you have to be lead by your little one. Do they observe when you go to the loo? Have you popped them on the toilet or potty with any joy? It's normally once they start realising they've pooped or peed in their nappy and start pointing it out to you, you should start thinking about potty training.

Hope this helps, and definitely get a potty book - a nice story about going on the potty really helps!

• Options

Thanks so much Danielle, that really helps. She has gone to bring me a nappy but that is only a few times - I haven't taken her to the toilet (apart from when she tries to jump in!). Great advice and thank you - I think ill just pop her on the toilet and get her familiar with it, and then try when she starts recognising it more image 

• Options

Message deleted by MadeForMums. Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.