Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

3.5yrold- accidents at nursery after over a year being dry

Hi,

My eldest son has been dry since last summer but has recently started having accidents in nursery. The staff say it is mainly when he is playing in the garden and then leaves it too late and doesnt make it too the loo. Ive tried ignoring it and then doing stickers or a reward chart but it doesnt seem to help. SHould i get cross with him now or will that make things worse. He's even dry at night now so I know he can hold on, hes fine when at home, but then I suppose we do take him when he shouts "i need a wee!" which obviously they cant do at nursery. Sorry for the ramble but just not sure what to do, he'll be starting school next year and cant be always having accidents then!!

Thanks for reading
Lou

Replies

• Options

Hiya Lou, I reckon as this is happening only at nursery maybe ask his key worker to keep asking him/taking him to the toilet every 30mins? Don't forget the nursery should really be supporting and helping you with this.

Unless, maybe he has a urine infection? But i'm guessing not as it's not happening at home...

Let me know how you get on.

ps Getting angry with them never works - you'll end up just feeling guilty!

• Options

Hi, its so difficult when they get engrossed in playing, maybe ask his support worker to take him for a pit stop before he goes out? 

Its kind of a joke in our house - wallet phone keys pit stop and I'm ready to go lol but joking aside if he gets used to going before he goes outside he will be in a good routine for big school.

If he is anything like my four yr old he will be easy to talk to and get the point of going before you play so you have longer outside. 

Hope this helps x

• Options

Hi Louisa 

I'd definitely be asking his key worker to remind him every 30mins or so for a few days. It probably is that he is so engrossed in what he's doing he just leaves it that bit too long to get to the loo in time. Let us know how it goes x