Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

potty training twins!

hi my twin girls are 2 yrs and a month! one of them is so eagar to go the toilet when i change her nappy and i praise her loads! she has no interest in the potty so straight to the toilet and her 'magic chair' but she does nothing. Am hoping this is the start of her getting out of nappies but not too sure what the next step should be.  Do i now put her in pull ups and take her to the toilet every half hour until something happens or will she take charge? her sister isnt too fussed about the toilet unless the other one is using it but is aware when she has a dirty nappy and will tell me. which one do i try and potty train first? guessing not to do both together?

Replies

• Hi Manda

I started to potty train my twins who are 2yrs and 3months, Its only been two weeks and i thought i had it cracked but aslas i dont think so, my little girl is great and uses the potty all the time the odd few accidents (yeeha), but my little boy only goes when he wants to and its getting on top of me, he seems to see it as a game.

I put them both in real pants and only put a nappy on for nap time and bedtime. i'm not doing bedtime until ive cracked  daytime i dont think i could cope with dirty beds at night.

I'm glad to see that there is someone else out there at thesame stage as me as none of the other mums at the toddler groups understand the dynamics of twins and cant give any advice.

I know this doesn't help, but its nice to be able chat someone who understands.

Kirsten

• I got twin girls 26 months Samantha will go on potty n toilet Abigail wil sit in potty now n again I don't know wot else to do
  • Hi Manda,

Pull-ups can be useful if they are showing an interest in the toilet - the key thing is getting to that point where they know they're going to go long enough in advance, and from our experience that can't be rushed (we tried at 2 1/2 and ended up waiting a few months and succeeding when they were 3).

We did our twins at the same time but they happened to be ready at the same time - I know other twin parents where there was 6 months or so between the twins being ready to potty train.

Daytimes definitely came before night-time though! We had a book of stickers and everytime they used the potty they got a sticker on a piece of paper that we stuck up on the wall with their name on it - they seemed to quite like watching it build up as they got the hang of it.

Good luck! It's a long and messy road but you will get there image - definitely worth investing in a Potette Plus (we had 2!) for when you go out. It's a lifesaver.

L