Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My daughter wont potty train

My oldest daughter is disabled and she is now 28 years old and still living at home with me. She is still in nappies. Everytime i take her to special potty. She just runs from it. She wont sit on it. How do i get her to potty train and why wont she potty train. 

Replies

• Perhaps decorating it somehow so its a "special place" for her to sit on e.g. get acrylic paints and paint what she loves (horses, fairies whatever..) so it becomes her "magical toilet" then treats when she attempts to sit on it - again something she likes to do or own..just small things like a sticker or watch a programme she really likes. If she does something then big praise and an extra treat (so you gradually phase out one when she's doing the other so to speak...so she gets a treat if she uses the toilet).

Is it comfortable for her to sit on? If not, is there any modifications that could be made so it is like a throne rather than a cold bit of plastic? I.e somewhere she would want to sit? Even decorating the room its in with sparkly lights (Christmas tree ones for example) again, to create a fun and interesting place to be rather than something she now associates with discomfort (either perceived or real).

Good luck.