Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Team Wee Can Do This - Potty training girls

In our recent survey, over a third of parents believed it was easier to potty train girls than boys - do you agree? What are the hardest things you’re finding with your daughter? Share your stories, tips and questions with other mums of potty training girls…

Replies

• Options

Zoey was very easy to potty train at 2.5 she is accident free during the day, I cant take any credit ... she learnt how to remove her nappy. I bought the princess pollys potty book and read it to her once, she went to get the potty straight after it and made her first very proud wee. It was no turning back from then on and we have hardly any accidents. The potty comes with us in the car or for waks just in case, but she has learnt to hold it in for a few secs if we are almost home.  Nightimte is an issue as she relies heavily on drinking at night and wets through 2 nappies. Nowhere near ready. Any advice on how to get her more ready at night. 

• Options

Having working in a nursery I think little girls are easier to potty train...they have more of an urge for self care from experience where as boys just want to play! Girls like pretty pants and tights are much easier to pull up and down compared to trousers...shame my boy cant wear tights lol

• Options

No tips of my own as ive only just started training my boy but my friend did the night time training by taking her lad to the toilet at 6pm ish to wee (bed at 7) and only letting him sip drinks from 6 pm onwards if he wanted one. Then when she went to bed she'd sit him on the potty at the side of his bed and coax him to wee half asleep, which he apparently did. She also said she kept a potty right next to his bed and as hed been dry so long during the day he'd get up to wee in the night for a couple of weeks into it once he knew he was wearing pants to bed and not nappies.

He was 4 years old when this was going on though so dont know if its relevent to a two year old =/

• Options

well i dont know about girls potty tranning yet it only my son at moment well i think sometime it depend on kids more the sex of child if u give them alot fun and patient make fun i think kids do find it easy if being a boy or girl

• Options

My first little girl was quite quick to grasp potty training, before i started properly i would just get her used to sitting on the potty and read a book, and when she weed or pooed i gave her lots of praise. When we were both ready to really tackle (when she could tell me she needed to go) it I bought her some brightly coloured 'big girl knickers', some character pull up pants and a toilet seat and step and presented it to her as a big present with a reward chart and she was thrilled! Its hard to get her of the loo sometimes as she always takes a book with her now! lol! My biggest tip is to not get frustrated with accidents, or make your LO feel anxious about them, try and reassure them it is ok, they are bound to happen at first!!  I am starting to pop my youngest on the potty now, she is not as easy as my eldest was! she won't sit still! image

• Options

Is 18 months too soon? My parents claim to have trained me at 18 months for daytime freedom from nappies, but is this good practice ?

I also wonder if ther nursery would be happy to support her potty training so soon, or should I wait a bit longer?

• Options

It was different when we were younger as nappies were either terry nappies or really bulky so parents wanted to potty train as soon as they could! Just go with your instinct, you don't want to push it if she isn't ready. Is your little one showing awarness of soiling herself? is she able to tell you so? does she stay dry for at least 2 hrs between wet nappies and have predictable bowel movements? these are good signs she is ready. image

• Options

Hi everyone - I'm glad they let me on the site as I havent seen any posts from grandmothers before.  My daughter has three children two of whom are sixteen month old twins, a boy and a girl.  My daughter has tried them on the potty and had some success but with twins it is so much harder.  I have an e book on the subject if anybody is interersted and it is free if you visit my website.

• Options

My daughter is 2 years and 3 months and still not fully potty trained. She can count to 15, kind of knows the alphabet but just can't seem to get the concept of using the potty fully. Ha ha... Maybe she just doesn't want to.

She prefers using the special seat which goes on the big toilet. 

• Options

my daughter is 2 and a half and have just fully potty trained her now, it took 2 days and has only had one accident so far (fingers crossed) I just waited until I thought she was ready, explained how much nicer wearing knickers is instead of a big nappy and being warm helped too, as she has just been running round the house in her knickers and top so it was easier for her to quickly go to the potty or toilet and thankfully it was very stress free! Very proud of my little one right now image

• Options

My litte girl has  just started potty traing, to start off I  am just aiming to get her to happily  sit on the potty, I am hoping for her to go straight on the toilet but don't know whether this is a bit unrealistic, I have brought a toilet training seat and she weed as soon as I sat her on it, I plan to put her on it first thing in the morning and praise her if she goes the toilet 

• Options

My daughter was doin well at night But has gone back wards sinse she woke up and had wet the bed now asks for a pull im just leaving she is 2 and a half been dry in the day since march 

• Options

My daughter loved wearing nappies. She found them so comfortable it was a real struggle to get her potty trained. She used to cry and was afraid so we spent time together trying to remove the fears by treating potties like little friends. She spent time customising the potties with stickers and paints. That worked and within a couple of months she was dry. It did require a huge amount of patience, acceptance of multiple accidents and praise wherever possible. I am glad we persisted because the nappies were costing a fortune and once she was dry she was so proud.

• Options

My little one took to potty training straight away, I think she away ready!. she did have a few accidents at first but can be expected. I found awe best way was to use thyet toilet seat on the toilet she felt like a big girl coping mummy. She didn't like the potty as it would stick to her bottom. In the nights she took slightly longer to adjust, I put her in pull ups to go to sleep until she would get up with a dry nappy as I felt if she wet the bed it would set her back in the day time. I found the best way was to keep encouraging her to use the toilet and lots of praise image

• Options

I felt my sons was trained quicker than my daughter. my daughter is 3 yrs at night time she uses 1 or  2nappies .

In the day time she tells us ..