Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Team Wee Can Do This - Beating their fears

It’s normal for some toddlers to be a 'wee' bit scared of sitting on the potty or doing a poo in the toilet. If that’s happening to your little one, come and talk to other mums who are going through the same experiences…

Replies

• Options

My little boy gets constipated and is scared of pooing in his nappy let alone on the potty... we only started on sunday and have yet to come across needing a poo but any tips ready for he is... how do you coax him onto sitting on the potty for a poo when he doesnt even like to be touched or near people to do it?

• Options

Pooing was one of our obsticles, I could see she really needed to , so I just kept on taking her to the potty, eventually she did it, but the thought of it scared her. I got searching online for poo in the potty friendly books and made up storeys, we got extra excitied and danced around when she made a poo and she was over the scaredness in a week or so

• Options

Love the stories idea...will try that one. We already have the book by Amanda Jenner from when we tried to train a few months back (dont have a my carry potty, just the book) which I actually totally forgot about so must dig it out! Thanks for the reminder.

• Options

not really nervous if my son has accients it a way of learning also making it fun for him and he got a fun potty that sing and a book about potty pirate pete he loves and chart too

• Options

My daughter is scared of the toilet (the flush freaks her out) will that affect potty and toilet training? I have seen toilet looking pottys, are they better to train them on so that they are more prepared for potty training?

• Options

It's important to try and make potty training fun. Get a few books and give them to your little one to look at while sitting on the potty. They get distracted and can sit on the potty for quite a long time (which is great if they need to go number 2 but are a bit constipated). It has worked for me in the past. Also, there are apps for ipad and phones like Potty Time With Elmo which might help. 

• Options

A toilet adaptor seat is very helpful and might make it less stressful.  Envbeckyc could try leaving the flush until daughter is out of the way.  There are also helpful stickers and charts available which could be used as a reward.

• Options

Update: DS is much much happier at having poos in the potty than in a nappy! We're SO proud of him for trying on the potty and we havnt had any pooey accidents to date! I'm glad he's more comfortable in himself too. Potty training actually combat his fear of pooing! Only issue we have is when we're out he doesnt like hand dryers so after washing hands we have to take a small hand towel in his bag!

• Options

My little girl loves sitting on the potty but I am trying to train her to use the toilet and I have brought a training seat which she likes to sit on, to start off I will place her on the training seat as soon as she wakes up ans praise her when she has a wee

• Options

When we bought our little girl a potty we made a big fuss getting it out of the box but when it came to actually using it she was only happy to sit on it with her clothes on! She totally freaked out otherwise. So I left it for a few weeks, then we got some library books out to read with her at bedtime & bought a Winnie Pooh toilet training seat, plus a foldable travel one. Then one day she just wanted to sit on this. She actually prefers the travel one as its softer. Another thing that helped was an app Huggies Potty Trainer, she started to wee whenever she heard the 'I'm a big kid now' music, and she enjoyed the little reward games.  

• Options

My son loved his potty from the outset which was great. My daughter was much more difficult so we spent time trying to make potties her "friend". She decorated them with stickers and paints and then began to look forward to using them.

• Options

We had a bit of a set back with the pooing issue. I was in the shower and didnt hear him shouting or help (guilty guilty mummy) and he pooped in his pants. since then he's had issues with pooing on the potty which I feel is my fault for not hearing him shout =( I reassured him its ok and 'nevermind' .So he's been holding it in again and we;ve had to gauge when he's going to do it to quickly pull his pants down and pop him on the potty. Lots and lots of stickers and praise were given. He was a bit better yesterday and went for a poo on the by himself after some coaxing so maybe we're back on track. Just dont want him to be fearful of it again after we've come so far.

• Options

A sticker chart and a treat at the end was the key! End of lol!

• Options

It seems that we are back on track... Hoorah! Happy happy happy.... everyones happy! Keep the praise up and its all ok =)