Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Team Wee Can Do This - Starting potty training

Welcome to Team Wee Can Do This: Start here. If you are about to start potty training or have just begun, then this is the place to be. Come and share your stories, tips, hints and advice with other mums

Replies

• We're starting to think about potty training, we'll take any tips! X

• How is it best to introduce the idea of potty training? X

• We started on Sunday...and doing quite well so far i think

• me and my son are potting trainning at moment any tips

• We have just finished potty training Zoeey who is 2.5 - nighttime dryness is our issue

• Is there an optimal age to start? should this be child-led or introduced by the parent?

• I had two kids and both had no problem. I wait till they are ready and not forcing them.

• My son is scared of sitting on the potty and he is also scared of sitting in the training seat. How do I overcome this? He is going to be 3 in September

• What kit should I have to start potty training my daughter? can any one recommend a particular type of potty?

• I think after a couple of days you can quickly tell if they are ready or not. They usually grasp it quite quick if ready!

• My son go through the day training with some accidents and now we trying nights withiout nappies, but.... after the few dry nights he start to wet his bed. I left the potty in the room but  still he can't wake up enough to use the it.

On the other hand he refuse to use nappies at night time now... any idea ?

I though to wake him a bit at night but it doesn't seems to be right way... 

• my daughter is 3 years 1 month and she will not go on the potty ! she holds on for 5 hours and if she sits on the potty she still holds it and starts screaming, shes now even afraid to have her nappie off! shes to comfortable being in a nappie i dont know what else to do i have literally tried everything, ive even contacted my health visitor and shes completely stumped! my daughter starts nursery next month and im at the end of my tether ..... HELP!!!!!!

• My little girl is two years and three months, I brought her a potty today and a toilet training seat and step, she was very excited to sit on the training seat and had a wee straight away, she sat on the potty to watch television with her nappy on and would put her dolly on the potty. Going to place her on te training seat first thing in the morning and give her lots of praise when she wees

• I am about to start training, my little boy hads been sitting on the potty and is happy to be in pants, although not activly training he seems quite comfortable with the idea. to be honest i think i am more worried about it then he is.

• I was scared about starting but i'm glad I did...sooo much easier not having to worry about when or where to change nappies when youre out. Just have to make sure I remember to ask DS if he needs a wee when we go past every toilet  possible.

• I couldn't wait to start potty training simply because of the huge cost of nappies. My daughter really resisted the potty and there were a lot of accidents. She wasn't fully dry until 2 and a half whereas my son really liked the potty, couldn't wait to be out of nappies and was dry before his second birthday. The best advice I can give is be as patient as possible, keep calm when accidents happen and don't give up.

• I think u should only potty train when your child is ready. Need to keep a fews changes of clothes on you. Also I always take the travel potty or toilet seat with us. X

• Don't even try until your child is ready. I worried when my daughter was not potty trained at 2 1/2 when all of her friends of the same age at toddler group were. It became a real issue and I felt it became a bit of a race with all of the other Mums to get their child trained first. I kept trying her without a nappy and asking her if she wanted the potty but she'd get upset and I got really stressed about it. I spoke to my health visitor who said to stop worrying - she'd do it when she was ready and that you don't see children going to school in nappies! She said that until a child is physically developed enough it wouldn't happen anyway. My daughter was almost 3 when she asked for big girl pants on one day. She kept them on all day without an accident and from that day onwards was completely dry - not one accident.Her friends who were supposedly potty trained at 18 months continued to have accidents even once they started nursery school at 3. My advice -Stop stressing - it'll happen eventually.

• If possible warmer months are best to start potty training as you can let them run around in garden (underwear free, even!) so they can sit on potty ASAP when necessary. This gets them used to idea of WHERE they should be "doing their business". Also easier to clean up any mishaps image

• I agree with Debbie... its realyy important to wait until theyre ready. Although DS didnt ask to have pants on he was becoming more interested in the toilet, looking at himself in the bath before he wee'd and started saying napiies are yack. I did initially do it because of the cost but wouldnt have attempted it without any signs. I can only imagine the hell of potty training my ds at 18 months.