Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Wont keep nappy on but won't use potty either!

Hi all, Newbie here!

My little boy is 2yrs 2mnths. He has a potty but I'm not actually potty training him yet because he doesn't seem to be ready (according to my How to Potty Train Boys book/bible anyway!) He doesn't seem to know that he's going to wee, and he isn't particularly interested in wees, poos or potties. I was quite content to wait until 2 1/2 but the problem now is that he won't keep his nappy on! When we're at home he just strips the nappy off but seems to make no attempt to use the potty.

Do you think this is a sign that he's ready to start potty training? I'm reluctant to start because I don't think he's ready, but maybe this is his way of signalling that he is? I don't feel right forcing a nappy back onto him all the time either because that seems to be pushing him in a backwards direction... but if he's not ready then I'm just going to end up with wee-soaked carpets (in our rented house!) for the next 4 months!

Anyone else been through the same? Any advice ladies?

Thanks x

Replies

• Hi, my little boy is 2 yr 3 mnth, he knows what the potty is for but wont use it. He has started to tel me sometimes when he has a dirty nappy but not all the time. Im like you, i just dont think he is ready yet and i dont want to push him cos i dont want him to be frightened to use the potty. Alot of friends have told me that boys normally do take longer than girls to learn x
  • Hi Sarah_Beth, thanks for the reply. I read a post on here from a lady who said that they'll let you know when they're ready, and if you wait for that then potty training will be short, sweet and blissfully easy! I think that's going to be the best approach for me, and possibly the best approach with little boys in general - I don't know whether it's just my boy but he's so headstrong it seems like he doesn't like to be taught things, but prefers to take the information (eg. what the potty is for) and then use the information when he's ready. It is awkward though when he won't keep his nappy on! x
  • hi - my lo is the same, she is 23mths, she keeps taking her nappy off as apparently her nappy feels 'hot' when she has done a wee but is not aware yet when she needs to go. I was thinking about getting a potty but might put if off awhile. My other 2 daughters were 2 1/2 and nearly 3, but when they did it they were dry day and night within a week. I'd follow your instinct which is what i think i'm going to do now.
    Sam x
  • Thanks Sam. I've heard so many people say that when they are ready they almost potty train themselves and I think this is much the same with all stages in general - I mean, we don't teach our kids to crawl, or to walk, they just do it don't they? I'm definitely going to wait until he initiates things and just cope with the little accidents in the meantime! Good luck with your little one! And Tescos, you better stock up on plenty of Plenty/Bounty for the next couple of months... image