Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what do you think to intensive toilet training?

Hello, i've posted this all over just to try and get a good response! Evie's 2years and 2 months now and We've had a potty for about a year, which she understands vaguely that it's for poo's and wee's and very occasionally will ask to sit on it, but hasn't produced anything yet. We've never officially started training yet though. She did ask a month or so ago for some big girl knickers, which she chose herself, but has never wanted to wear them yet.

She knows when she needs to poo/is pooing and lets us know so she can be changed, but doesn't appear to know when she is weeing. If she has her nappy off and has an accident (say before getting in the bath) she looks quite suprised at the puddle as though she doesnt quite get where it came from.

She is a very bright girl, can communicate very well and can take off her own trousers, i do think she'd pick up toilet training very quickly if we focussed on it quite intensley. during the week i work part time and she has different people looking after her each day, and i can't help but think that potty training would be less successful if she has different peopple using different approaches and the interuptions of going out places and things. I feel just doing it casually will prolong it and excuses will be made to use nappies here and there.

What i think would work for us is for me to take a week off work, arrange loads of fun activities to do at home, ditch nappies, introduce knickers potty and toilet seat, and just go for it, i do feel she will be receptive but if she was unhappy with this i certainly wouldnt push it onto her.

Has anybody tried intensive training before or know anybody who has? does anybody have any stories/tips/oppinions on this? I'm a little anxious but do feel she is ready! i would LOVE to hear what you all think of this method!

Replies

• Options
    From the sound of it, she's likely to pick it up if you focus on training her. Girls are more mature about things like potty training so they are more likely to adapt to it earlier esp since you say she tells you when she's about to do a poo. If she is as bright as i guess she is, one week off work is likely to produce impressive results...don't push it though. Good luck with the intensive training!!