Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

potty training and pre scool

i feel a bit torn here, i have read that starting PT after 2.5-3 yrs they get it better as they likely to be talking ect, but pre schools dont atke them till dry in day do they?

Replies

• I think most want them dry before they start, however I've got Rhys's name down at a playgroup and they are happy to take them if still in nappies, so it's worth speaking to the pre school you intend to send them too.
  • I am sure I heard that pre schools can no longer discriminate if child still in nappies but most prefer you to be trying. Dd is two and a half and just started Pre school and potty training after giving up earlier in the summer. Our Pre school is very accepting of accidents as realise there are lots of distractions and it will take longer there! We have good and bad days so keep wandering whether to keep persisting or give up for a bit!

Good luck xx
  • Cally is two next week and starting Playgroup on 1st Nov - she will be going in nappies. I did attempt potty training in the summer but only for a week and it wasn't working so we stopped. The playgroup are quite happy to have her in nappies. Last year 2 of my grandchildren went to the same one and were both in nappies for about their first 6 months there.
  • Pre schools and nurseries are not allowed to discriminate anymore and can not refuse a child who is still in nappies. So I wouldn't worry at all!

My ds started pre school the day after his 3 rd birthday and he was trained but still having a few accidents, the first week he went he had a few more accidents but he hasn't had anymore for 4 weeks now.
    I think its helped being with other kids who are dry and it encourages them to go to the toilet too