Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

help!!!my 4year old wont take nappy off and wear pants etc

well i really dont know what else to do,if i try and put pants boxers or even pull up he screams kicks etc.we managed to get him in pants for 1 day in march and ended up a and e after 8 hours he still wouldnt wee,he was scraming in pain.

hes been checked and medically hes fine so,,im not sure wjhat else to try.

hes due to start school september please any tips etc would be great...

he does tell me when wet and dirty so thats a start but never goes any further

thanks me1975 xx

Replies

• Snap, I have one exactly the same. Reece is nearly 3 1/2 and just refuses point blank. I went 9 weeks with him out of nappies and we didn't get one wee in the potty/loo in all that time. The day I was strict with him and told him that he was weeing in the potty he held it in, and we were at the Drs that afternoon as he got a water infection. I ended up going back to nappies as he made me late for work 2 days on the run pooing on the rug. I have read a study that says its normally boys that do this and its usually very bright ones. It says that at this age they can only control 2 things - what they eat and going to the loo, and if they decide not to do either of these you have had it till they change their minds!! Reece is really clever, was a very early talker. can read his numbers up to 20 and all the letters of alphabet. The hv at his 2 year check said he was like a 4 year old. He knows exactly what he is doing when he wees, he can stop it mid flow if I try and catch it in the potty. Does your little one go to nursery? Everyone keeps telling me this will solve the problem but I'm not that hopeful. I have a child care worker out this week to assess his behaviour, I got referred through my hv. I have had people out before but no luck. I'm just glad to know I am not alone, although not glad you are going through it. I wish I had a magic answer xx
  • hi
    well my son is 5 in jan and starts school in sept and still not dry,ive tried everything!!

yes dont like to be big headed but hes very clever can count to 50 now and hes been doing primary school work for 6mths or so as he gets bored with pre-school work...my other son whose is now 12 wasnt dry until 4 and is very clever sitting his gcse's 2 and half years early...so maybe some truth in it.

anyway what do i do??cant send him to school in nappies!!!!!

me1975 x
  • I wish I knew, I have tried everything under the sun. Its really getting me down as I have so much other crap going on in my life as well. We havent even mentioned it for weeks to him now. He would happily be in nappies till he was 18 I think.