Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how old was ur LO when they started to potty train?

how old was your child when he/she started to use potty?

my son is 2 and half he says when hes done a wee or poo and even sometimes says toilet and pulls his trousers down, but wen we show him the potty he will not use it gets scared. anyone got any suggestions? i do not want to force him as he will do it when he thinks he is ready.

Replies

• My ds was the same and was petrifed of the potty initially. We got some stickers and started by just giving him a sticker if he actually sat on the potty whether he did anything or not.
    How is he with the toilet? If he isn't scared of that maybe you could try him straight on the toilet.
    We started at the beginning of summer when Rhys was 2 1/2 and he was doing really well, then he went on holiday and we were back to square 1 with him, but he's 33months now and finally there with him (fingers crossed no accidents for over 2 weeks at least anyway.)
  • We have just started with my DS...He's 29 months. He too was terrified of the potty and we have been trying to get him used to it with no success for ages. Last week I thought he needs to at least try sitting on it so I gave him some chocolate and just picked him up and sat him on it! He was not happy at first but ate the chocolate and relaxed...now we have started training and his fear of both potty and toilet seems to have vanished, he's been sitting on it without being asked too . I think with my ds he needed a push to do it. First day today and we've had lots of wees on potty and 3 wees in his pants so hes doing OK! x xxx