Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HELP with potty training 3 year old

Hi im after any advice on potty training my 3 year old son.

Ive tried everything!! hes definately ready and go's through stages of asking all the time and being totally dry to having bad days of just not asking at all and weeing through everything all day and when i ask him why he didnt ask he just says I busy playing or watching something!! (answer for everything my boy)!! Im wondering whether sometimes he gets confused with the pull ups as I put these on him to go to nursery and bed etc but other than that hes usually in pants but if hes in the house and has nothing on the bottom half he never ever has an accident he dosnt even ask and just takes himself to the toilet!! any ideas? many thanks xx

Replies

• I'm still in the very early stages of training my nearly 3 year old (and I must admit it's nice to hear of someone else still at potty training stage beyond the age of 2!!) but i find that the only way to avoid accidents is to constantly ask her if she needs to go as if she is playing or busy with something she won't actually ask to go. I have to sometimes bribe her to at least have a try before we go out or she starts a new game as I know I've no chance once she's otherwise engaged. i would suggest asking him to have a try on the potty once an hour if he hasn;t asked to go in that time. Hopefully that will minimise accidents!