Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty training how do you get them to ask?

Hi my daughter is 27 months old and has been dry by me putting her on the potty at regular intervals for the past three months but I resorted to pull ups after the first attempt at potty training 3 months ago when she would oblige when I put her on the potty but if I didn't PUT her on she would wet herself. I have tried again this week leaving her to either go to potty or tell me if she needed a wee and leaving her nappy off so she knew the consequences but she just keeps wetting herself, yet as soon as I put her on the potty she happily goes. i have learnt the signs of hiding for a poo and grab her and put her on the toilet and again she happily goes but if I don't take her she poos in her knickers so we are not any further forward than last time I tried! How do i get my little girl to use her potty by herself or start to tell me she needs a wee! i really don't want to go backwards and put her pullups on again - anyone got any ideas? Or had this problem too?

Replies

• Hey

When Harrison started in August he would just have a t-shirt on at home and nothing else, and we kept his potty in the living room. We got him and all singing all dancing potty from Argos, but worth every penny. We told him it was his 'big boy toilet'.

We started by asking him every half hour or so if he needed to go to toilet, and would keep sitting him on it. If he did nothing after a minute or just got uo we left him for another half hour. I used top take his potty to the bathroom with me so he could go when I did, and he saw mummy using the big 'potty'.

It's far easier if they have no pants on as taking them off can often slow it down and cause them to wee themselves, as with Harrison he often didn't tell us until he was just going to do it, so with no pants on we could sit him on the potty straight away.

Just give lots and lots of praise, and take her to toilet with you.

We just decided one Saturday that Harrison wasn't wearing a nappy during the day again and that was it, and he hasn't. We had criticism off people who said we should have done it slowly and put him in one to go out, but I refused to and he just went out in pants. We have had accidents, and he occasionally still does, but I always have clean clothes with us so its no problem.

Hope this helps and good luck

Sammi
    xxxxx
  • Thats what we did with my son. I just decided one day to put him in pants, I told him I forgot to buy nappies in the shop and he had to wear big pants like Daddy.

I put the potty in the living room and take him to the toilet with me... and *touch wood* since Christms only 2 accidents!! (at home, nursery doesnt count!)...

I let him go round in a tshirt and pants, but recently bought some cheap tracky bottoms he can wear round the house to practice taking trousers off...

He wont ASK to go to the toilet though, so if anyone has any advice or secrets, I'd appreciate it too!!