Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

going back a step?

My daughter is 2 will be 3 in feb and she has been potty training for the last few months. She hated using a potty so we put her on the toilet instead and within 2 weeks she was all potty trained.
The past week tho she has been having a lot of accidents and not telling us she has to go until its too late.
What do we do?
Has anyone else had this problem before?
She hasnt been out of nappies at night time yet so we are wondering if maybe we should take her out of nappies at night so she never has one on?
We took her to docs to check for a urine infection but nothing there.

Any advice would be great!
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun

I had the same problem with Harrison, he's 2 years and 9 months and been training since about august (ish). He was doing brilliant then seemed to go backwards, he stopped telling us he needed to go and just did it. I may be wrong but here's my thoery, and it seemed to work for us.

When they first start they get lots of praise and adoration for going, that stops after the first few weeks and they no longer get what they feel is 'encouragement', plus, when Harrison first started I would ask him a lot if he needed to go, after a few weeks I expected him to tell me without being prompted but he obviously didn't realise until it was too late.

I started giving him more praise (not as much as when he first started, but enough to make him feel proud), and I ask him frequently i.e before we leave the house I take him to toilet, when we arrive at the destination I make him go, and I have a potty with me everywhere we go so if he needs to go, he can. I have been in the middle of a shop and he's asked to go, so I get his potty out and he has a wee (not ideal, but I do make sure he is hidden by his pram, lol). I have been trying the last few weeks asking if he can hold it until we get to a toilet (as I want to leave potty at home) and he has so far managed it about 80% of the time, but I always have some spare clothes anyway.

Harrison is still in nappies on a night, but we take him toilet before bed and I change his nappy when I go to bed and in the morning it is always dry, but the first one isn't so I'm in no rush to take him out of them at bed yet.

Hope this helps and sorry its a bit long.

Sammi
    xxxxx
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your post, it really has helped!
    we def havent been gving her as much praise as normal as we just expected her to do it.
    We started giving her a bit more praise today and she has been better so hoping that is all it is.
    Think we will maybe start a star/ reward chart (more so that we remember to keep the praise up lol!!)
    Her nappies are about 70% of the time dry in the morning so after christmas think we will see how she gets on without nappy at night time.

Thank you so much for the advice, its great that someone else is going through the same thing at the same time. (well not great butyou know what I mean lol)

xxxxx
  • Options
    No problem hun.

It only occured to me that might be the problem with Harrison after the first 2 weeks of him going backwards. I was trying to think what we were doing different to before, and that was all I could think of. We are thinking about a reward chart as well, so that he can see his rewards. I even give him lots of praise when we are out and in public loos, not sure what people must think when i'm in the cubicle with him saying 'you good boy, that's really good you big boy', lol.

I know what you mean, you start wondering if you are the only person in the world with a child who refuses to do what you know they can do.

I got my fingers crossed for you and good luck :\)

xxxxx