Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

At the end of my tether

I have to admit I don't know what to do. I am in a impossible situation my son is 4 years old and he is still not potty trained. I have tried everything I can think of physically sitting him there myself every couple of hours (he didn't like that much), Putting the potty in the lounge room so he can watch tv while he goes. Putting it in the bathroom so he gets the idea. Putting him in undies so he can get wet or poohy and feel how awful it is (he actually doesn't care). He lives in a clean house he has always had his bottom changed and I just think to myself what have I done wrong that he doesn't care about being dirty. I put my daughter in nickers for one day, she got wet a couple of times and went to the potty every other time no accidents.

I am so lost and bewildered I find potty training children so hard and its especially hard when I child doesn't work with you on it. Should I be worried I feel like I should be taking him to a doctor. He has ven gone a few times and I have rewarded him but then he doesn't do it again for months. I am so tired of this.

Replies

• boys apparently are alot harder to potty train than girls.

could you skip the potty and go straight to the toilet? my son didnt like the potty much but easily went on the toilet He now stands up and points his lil winky in and says "look Im doing a wee wee like daddy"! Its so cute. You could make it into a game and put a ping pong ball (draw a face or target on it) and tell him to aim for it whether sitting or standing. Take him out and let him pick his own seat for the toilet. Let him watch you and OH using the loo. Once hes mastered doing a number 1 then he'll hopefully realise that number 2s go in there aswell. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best coz I know how frustrating it can be xx
  • Frustrating is not the word and what makes it worse is my partner wont let him watch him go to the toilet and I am sure that would help considering me and my daughter have different bits to him he may be confused. I tell ya men need a slap sometimes.
  • Hi, getting him to use the toilet rather than the potty may well be the answer. You dont need a man to show him either my hubby was useless so I used a tried and tested method for aiming...a ping-pong ball with a happy face! They love it as it is fun and of cource very different from a potty!
    They dont get flushed down and I kept a box of disposable gloves to fish it out when others needed the loo. I also kept a old ice cream tub with streilising fluid in and cleaned the ball once id fished it out.
    i would also suggest a step too so he can get a bit of hight and really aim well.
    I used to have to remind my son to "untuck" the end of his willy so it didnt end up like a fountain lol!!!
    just a suggestion but It worked well with my son in the end.
    I hope things work out xxxx
  • cheerios are another good one for lo to aim at, they flush after too. just keep a little pot of them next to the loo.