Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty training and LO's speech

Hi

Spence is 20 months and although he's not really showing signs that he's ready for training I was thinking about buying a potty just so he gets used to it and if he does a wee or poo in it, well that's a bonus!

My worry is that his speech development is behind others of his age. He can say "poo" and will point to his nappy when he's done one (not every time). He can understand commands and requests but can't put words together. Should I wait until he can communicate his needs better?

Thanks
Liz x

Replies

• hi i have the same issue with my lil girl she is 20 months. if shes in pants she nos wen she has dun a wee n nos wen shes goin 4 poo.. but she isn't yet speakin she ses the odd word n will nod her head is u ask her is she wants a wee.. im due in 6 weeks so fink i mite wait till after babys orn n thn her speach mite get betta xxx
  • hi i have the same issue with my lil girl she is 20 months. if shes in pants she nos wen she has dun a wee n nos wen shes goin 4 poo.. but she isn't yet speakin she ses the odd word n will nod her head is u ask her is she wants a wee.. im due in 6 weeks so fink i mite wait till after babys orn n thn her speach mite get betta xxx
  • Isaac has just turned 2 and is showing no sign at all of being ready to potty train, his speech is okay but imo no anywhere near clear enough for him to express that he needs the toilet, also I think that they need to be able to get their clothes off or at least down to go to the toilet, hoping he'll be ready in the summer as its much easier with all the extra washing.
  • Hi my boys speech is delayed and i use baby sign language as they understand they just cant vocalise, i have found it really helpful, just used baby signing for dummies but there are loads of books and websites

xxDBxx