Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

night times

how do u go about getting not so LO dry at night? he is 3yrs old. when do i give him his last drink? do i leave him without a nappy? i think he stays dry at night but goes in his nappy as soon as he wakes up - i think? any advice gratefully recieved. xx

elaine xx

[Modified by: brandollarz on 04 January 2009 08:27:00 ]

Replies

• Was mentioned in a post on here a while back and I can def relate it to my son - he was 4 in Nov.

Limiting fluids cud have a reverse effect on the body as it will store more and is then likely to be released without warning. Also, how often does ur lo go a wee during the day? We started thinking about this with Luke and he prob goes 1st thing when he wakes, once during the day then 1 before bed - in effect, he does not truely empty his bladder during the day and at night, when body is relaxed etc, the bladder then releases. There are days when he'll be dry in the morning but looking back, we can recall him having been a wee at least 3 or 4 times during the day b4 so it's def something worth considering.
  • he prob wees about 3 or 4 times a day. do you put them to bed with a nappy on? or pants? or nothing at all? I think with a nappy on he'd just wee in it anyway but i dont wanna not put 1 on him then hes laying in a wet bed?
  • My Luke wears a pull-up purely because he was getting into such a state over the 'accidents' that it was kinder on him to have him wear them. Now we're getting back into normallity (xmas out the way & Nathan is 6 wks now so settling into a rough routine) we're going to start working on getting him dry and confident to go bed again, without the pull-ups.
  • hi, does the kid where a nappie during the day ?
    if not dont do it for night time , put them on the toilet b4 bed and when u go to bed put them on again, but dont talk to them . i cut out the drink at 6pm and she goes to the bed 7.30. we have been doing a chart so if she dry night she gets a sticker or give them a little chocolate for good work keep the prazes to her.
  • hes been dry in the day (and in pants) for about 9 months now. thanx for ur help ladies xx
  • Hi,
    I was so lucky with my three because as soon as they were dry in the day they were practically dry at night.
    The problem I have at the mo is my 3yr old dd, she is completely dry at night but hardly sleeps a wink if she hasnt got her pull-ups on. The nights we have left them off shes up and down like a yo-yo, she doesnt need a wee and she never wets the bed she just wont settle all night.
    As soon as she wears them she sound asleep.
    I assume its a confidence thing as she has relapsed back in to feeling like she needs them, we have tried stickers and special knickers just for nights but nothing seems to help....oh the trials of having kids lol
    xxxx
  • My son is also 3 and for the last 2 weeks has been waking up during the night to ask for the toilet. It's great that i can just follow his lead, but i'm bloody wrecked, i'm also 10 weeks pregnant!
    I think i will stop giving him warm milk before bed and stop all drinks an hour b4 bed. He already goes to toilet as he goes to bed. At the minute he is in pull ups. I don't think he is ready to without them yet as he still sometime's wet's them.

Cat xxx