Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Help is this normal?

Hi,

I was searching the web trying to get info with regards potty training but there is so much i thought best probably to ask people that have done it or doing it so here i am.

We started potty training on Friday so we have been at it for 6 days. Our daughter is 23 months old and has been using the potty for approximately 1 year, not all the time but has been used to being put on it if she needed a poo so she knows what it is and what its for.
We started by taking nappy of in morning and putting her into pants for the day and just letting her play away all day in pants. Initially we kept asking her every so often if she needed to pee and found she was actually going about every hour or so so we could judge when needed to go on potty. She is generally peeing in the potty about 8 or more times a day and only having 1 or 2 accidents a day. Our problem is that she doesn't tell us she needs to pee, is this normal? How do we continue from this? Also is it common to be peeing so much each day or is she just peeing because we put her on the potty as its not always big pees she does? We are now trying to increase the time between putting her on the potty just slightly to start with.

Are we doing this correctly or is there anything else we should try or do to help her?

Thanks in advance, any help would be great.

Replies

• Hi, Sounds like so far your daughter is doing very well, and I can't fault the way in which you are implementing it. I do have a couple of things which might help though, or pieces of info...

When Evie had her 2year development check, the nurse/HV (not sure which it was) asked if we'd began any potty training, i said no, i didn't think Evie was ready yet, and I asked was this normal, and is she behind. What she told me was that for the majority of kids, the best age to potty train is much closer to 3 than 2, and this is because, at the age of around 2 1/2 the bladder/bowels and brain connect so that children learn the sensation of needing to wee, and also the ability to use the pelvic floor muscle to "hold" urine. The reason we tend to try earlier to train children is simply because of nursery pressures and starting school. It's a social thing.

Of course, children can be taught to potty train much sooner, but you should expect it to take slightly longer in a lot or most cases, as there is a real learning curve involved. It sounds to me like your DD has learned what the potty is used for, which is fantastic and a vital first step, but she might not yet recognise the feeling of a full bladder, or have the control to hold the urine until she reaches the potty.

This will come with time. There is nothing wrong with carrying on the way you are, just allow and expect it to perhaps take a while. Or, you could wait a few more months and see what happens.

Just to give an example of what I've just put accross, when my DD hit about 26months I tried training her, I'd thought she was ready. put her in pants, introduced the potty, but we got nowhere. She would just have accident after accident unless i physically put her on the potty. After a few days we were both just getting stressed and upset with it so i stopped. then, when about 29months she saw her little friend use the potty, she took great interest so we tried again. This time the change in her was VAST. i couldn't believe how much more control she had. within days she was dry during the day, and actually telling me she needed to go to the potty. It's been about a month now and she's dry in the day time, we maybe have one accident per week if she's really busy and engrossed in playing, but thats no concern.

With regards to the ammount, that sounds completely normal. Their bladders at this age are tiny and don't hold much, Evie also does the tiniest wee's sometimes, but to her small bladder she can obviously feel the need to go.

Sorry for the long winded reply, hope in some way it has helped! xx