Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice on early potty training please??

hi ladies,

I dont post on here often so hope you dont mind but im looking for some advice?!

My ds is 17mths old and im currently 19wks pg with no.2 so would love to have ds out of nappies by the time no.2 arrives! Ds appears to be happy with the potty as i introduced it a few months ago. We have had success so far when we have used it but the last few days especially he has done (what i think) brilliantly as he has used it everytime i have offered it, almost weeing on "command". Now im getting nervous as to whether to take it to the next level?! He still has very limited vocabulary but great understanding - if i ask him to go for a wee on the potty then he will take himself to the toilet and get the potty. I was thinking of getting a couple of pairs of training pants and maybe a couple of terry towelling nappies for journeys (so he knows he has weed but doesnt actually make a mess). What do you ladies think? Am i just being too ambitious?!

Thanks in advance, becky x

Replies

• Options
    Hi, your little boy sounds very much like mine : ) maddox is 22 months old, and is currently pooing snd weeing on his potty and has been for a good few months, he also has very limited vocabulary but Is very bright and gets his potty wen I ask him if he needs a wee wee! I think you should go with your instincts and have a try, and let me no how you get on! Hehe I've used the pull ups but bit scared of starting the training pants! He is doing great tho, he never poos in his nappy hasn't for a while, he does wee sometimes in his nappies but not much, ul have to let me know how you get on! : ) I'm going on a flight on Saturday and bit worried about wat I am going to do with his potty on the aeroplane!
  • Options
    ...Sorry forgot to say my name, it's Nikki x
  • Options
    Ooh well done ladies! I'm not offering any advice, rather the opposite! My son is 16 months & I was thinking about trying this too, how did you start? My son knows what the potty is & will go and get it if I ask where it is but he doesn't sit on it long enough to go. Often when he's running around naked after a bath he wees on the floor then sits on the potty so I think he has made a link. How did you start though?? I'm also pg but v early days but I suppose that's what got me thinking about potty training too as I would love to only have 1 in nappies and more than that don't want to have to go through the whole potty training bit with a newborn to deal with too!
  • Options
    Thank goodness I am not the only one! My DD is 15 months and has started to get the changing mat when she needs her nappy changing. I know this is just a very early sign, but am starting to look into initial stage of training as soon as possible.

I read in one book to get a potty in your bathroom and get them to sit on it fully clothed initially, when you yourself need to go to the loo, so they get used to it, then get them to sit on the potty nappy off and just take it slowly. What do you think. I haven't tried any of this yet, she has only just started showing signs of knowing when she needs her nappy changing the last couple of weeks.

Also, not sure what to do with nursery. She won't be moved up to an area in the nursery where there is a child toilet until she is two! Anyone know what they will do if I try and toilet train her early, or should I just try and take a couple of weeks off work with her and try and start it off then to see how successful it is?

So many questions haha x
  • Options
    Hi,

I think, like others have said, you just have to listen and watch your baby for the signs and work together to achieve the end goal: fully potty trained. All the things you are doing sound fine to me, I would give the pull-ons a go, they are not scary. My LO is 14 months now and fully potty trained (we started when he was 8 months) and it is definitely worth it - no more nappies and independence for my son. They are all different but just follow your instincts and you will be fine.
  • Options
    wow Tinkerbell do you mind me asking how you potty trained your little one at 8 months?

my lo is 10 months and I'm eager to try early potty training with him if I can but no idea how to even start! any tips you have would be excellent

• Options
    Hello sorry to jump into the thread, I have never posted in this forum before, but, found myself having a look as my lo is 23 months, and, has been showing the odd sign for months like you say sitting on the mat when needing changing, knowing and sitting on the potty, but, not doing anything particularly with it! although he did make a weeing sound a few times *lols*. I was just waiting for the better weather, but, think I am holding him back.

How do I start?

What kit will we need?

ANY tips would be appreciated.

He also goes to stand near the front door and holds his regions when pooing or weeing? Although over the past week when i have asked him if he is going he is saying no!? when he was saying yes