Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone had prob with toddler having UTI while potty training

Hello

I'm going to make a docs appointment for my 3 year old tomorrow as I'm pretty sure she has a UTI of some sort but I was wondering if anyone else had had this sort of problem in the early stages of potty training.

About a month ago she was sick for a couple of days (vomitting) and kept complaining of backache. The doc couldn't get a urine sample (she wasn't potty training at this stage) but thought she prob had a kidney infection so prescribed antibiotics & paracetamol. It was a nightmare to get her to take the antibiotics so we made quite a fuss about her being poorly and that the magic medicine would make her better and finished the course eventually. Since then she seems to play the "I'm poorly/I'm sick card" whenever she want a bit of fuss. Or at least I think that's what she's doing...

2 weeks ago we started potty training as she just decided she wanted to use the toilet and wear big girl knickers! The first could of days went amazingly well with no accidents. The only downside was that she wouldn't poo (she's normally a twice a dayer!) so we knew she was a little constipated. When she did have a poo it was hard and painful and so she obviously go a bit hung up about pooing in her potty/on the toilet. We plied her with extra fruit and plenty of fluids to try and alieviate the problem but then a day or so later she started doing this pacing/circling thing at least once or twice a day when she needed a wee and saying that her wee hurt.

It's not everytime she needs the loo, hence why I've not been to the docs before now (this has been off and on since last weekend) but the last couple of days she's started to refuse to wear pants, wanting nappies, and has refused to go to the toilet a number of times and then promptly had an accident. Ironically the poo situation has got better and she had her first one on the toilet today.

Anyway, i was starting to wonder if she had cystitis or something similar although it seems a bit co-incidental to have it again so soon and that it has tied in with potty training like this. And i wasn't 100% sure that she wasn't just wanting a bit of fuss as she keep wanting to wee in her nappy whilst sat on my knee havinbg a cuddle (she actually asks to have a wee on me but is is so distressed I can't say no). But this afternoon she was really off colour and fell asleep with me on the sofa at about 5ish which is not like her and then, when she woke up, was sick.

I am def going to the docs tomorrow but am so confused as to what's up with her. Has anyone else had problems with UTIs, esp in girls, at this stage of potty training? I'm wondering if it's to do with the fact that she's having accidents and then maybe we're not getting her as clean as when she was having a nappy change, or that when she's wiping herself she's not going front to back, although she's always supervised and we try to make sure that she "just wipes her front bottom" while the adult takes care of the rest.

Sorry this is a bit of a long one but I just wondered if this was a common problem? I'm not sure if we should just revert to nappies until this is sorted as i don;t want her to have bad feelings about the toilet but that also feels like a backwards step when some of the time she uses the loo with no problem and no pain...

Thanks

Feebs

[Modified by: Feebs76 on 18 March 2010 19:20:36 ]