Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help with training a 3 year old - also in toddler

Sorry, this will be a long one.

Reece was 3 a couple of weeks ago. I have tried over several months to train him without success. When we first got the potty he sat on it, weed, said mummy Ive weed in my potty and then refused to go near it since. If you try and place him on it he just fights with you.

I've previously had a package of care from the hv but she advised me to leave it as he was having nightmares about it. He is a very clever little boy - he can read all his letters and numbers, can count piles of things up to 10, and his speech is amazing, the hv at his 2 year check said he was like a 4 year old. I think he is using the potty to control me, and that he has realised that he is getting more attention by not going on it than going on it.

This week I've decided no more nappies and it ha been a nightmare. Not one wee on the potty. I've stayed really calm though, not shown anything negative to him. The first couple of days I have tried to coax him on the potty - bribary, things in it to wee on, sitting on my knee with the potty underneath, weeing in a bucket, weeing on a plant outside but he just wont tell me when he is weeing. The first few times he was holding it in as long as possible and then doing it, but as soon as he realised that he wasnt in trouble he just wee's when he wants. I've left him in wet pants - he isnt bothered. He now doesnt give any indication that he is doing it and then just tells me to clean it up. At first I was using kitchen roll and dettol spray but Ivestopped that because he likes spraying the spray. Now I'm using the mop but its not ideal as my 9 month old is crawling everywhere so I'm trying to keep her out of the wet floor.

I've tried saying that I expect more from him and he can do better than this, no difference. He is obsessed with touching my tummy and Ive told him that he can't touch it unless he goes on the potty. No difference. I've told him that I'm too titred to keep cleaning up mess, still not bothered.

Now I am ignoring what he is doing. When he wee's I change him without speaking to him at all and clean it up without any comment, so he is not getting any attention from me for this behaviour. Then I sit his sister on the potty and sing Amber's on the potty and do big cheers. He doesnt like this one little bit, but he still wont go near it.

When we go out, he is dry. He went to my dads for 4 hours on Tuesday and my dad told him that he didnt have anything to clean the floor with and he did one wee i the whole time when he was in the bath. We've been shopping and playschool and he has had no accidents, but when we are at home he can pee every 15 minutes! He has seen his little mates use the potty and the loo but thats not having any effect. He doesnt start preschool till Sept as he just missed the Jan cut off with his birthday and doesnt go to nursery.

I have honestly never met another child that is as stubbon as he is. He was doing really well with his manners until his great gran pulled him up on not saying please and has refused point blank to say please or thank you since. He says that he cant say it.

Ive rang the hv this morning but they havent rang back. Just wondering if anyone can see anything that I am doing wrong or has any suggestions to try over the weekend. His dad is off this weekend so its going to be like having 3 kids - he doesnt like it when things dont go right!!

Any advice would be much appreciated and sorry again that its so long. Jo xx

Replies

• No advice I'm afraid but my Spencer is a very small step away from being Reece!
    He'll turn 3 in July and is completely refusing to use potty or toilet. He wont even have nappy-free time anymore, he insists on having a nappy on all the time. If I suggest taking nappy off he immediately says "No potty, no toilet", even if I haven't suggested using either.

Hope someone can offer some sound advice.

Liz, Spencer 32mths & Eddison 3mths
  • Can we join u both?? My son is 3 in June and we had him dry last Nov, now he wont go without his nappy at all?? I need him to b dry by his birthday so he can move up to pre school in nursery but no matter what I do, he demands a nappy on???
    HELP..!!!
    Marie
  • well im on the 3rd potty buying my son as he hated the other 2 normal ones we have,we bought the ones that look like a chair with a teddy bear face on it,was 5.99 in instore and the past 2 mornings hes went on the potty,first time and i was n the bloomin shower but he done it himself,i had tried for ages to get him on the potty and only just recently he wanted changed when wet,so i took that as a sign im just hoping it lasts,he said to me yesterday mummy is really happy with me and i said yes i am image

not much help i know ladies but i did take me a while to get to ths point but maybe its the potty he hates,i also have a magnet reward chart,he gets to pick whick one he wants so i think that helped

good luck x
  • i really feel ur struggle i must say i think potty training is one of the hardest things in parenthood.
    i too am struggling with my son wo was 3 in march. he has speech delay but can say potty so im sure thats not wat is holding him back.
    He too can pee every 15 mins at home it drives me mad, ive tried limiting drinks etc but nothing seems to help.
    He is not too bad at home when i leave his trousers off but as soon as there on its like he thinks he has a nappy on. i cant take him out as i know he wont tell me when he needs to go. cant say i have any advice for u really as looking for some myself..... all i can say is good luck!xxx