Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how do i go about starting potty training?

sam is 21 months old, knows what his potty is (if i ask him to get it he will go get it) but doesnt really seem interested in sitting on it.

does anyone have any advice or tips on how i can get things started?

thankyou image

Replies

• hi i have a little boy and it is well known how lazy they can be. my boy is three this september and has been ready to use a potty for just over a yr! the only thing is he didnt want to. i gave in and put his potty next to the toilet and took him with me everytime i went to the toilet. he was fascinated but not interested in his potty untill two months ago when he asked me if he can please use the toilet like mummy. i sat him on his potty and he has been asking me ever since! in my experience id say they will let you know when they are ready as long as they know there is that option. as long as you dont push the idea natural curiosity will get them in the end! image
  • Hmmm, thanks! I was just too worried about my 11 months old boy who thinks his potty is something to play with.:\?
  • Kara is 22 months and I have a potty for her but she won't go near it. I think I will not even bother using it and go straight to the toilet when she is ready. She seems to be afraid of the potty as she doesn't know what it is. She does tell us when she is doing a poo but not a pee yet so I don't think she is full ready yet. I think I will wait until she is 2 which is not very long.
  • I'm passing on the potty stage too as I can't stand the thought of them! We have special seats on all the toilets in the house and she'll happily sit on them for up to 5 mins at a time but has yet to do anything on it! I'm leaving it up to her, there's no rush in my opinion and I don't think she's ready yet as she doesn't seem to know when she's weed yet.
    xx