Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FRIGHTENED TO POO POO

I hope someone can help. My little girl is 2.5 years old and up until about 2 weeks ago all was well with her toilet works and potty training was going well. She had a cold and as a result didn't eat very well which resulted in some constipation. I live in Portugal and on speaking to 2 doctors here I ended up giving her a supository. She then went to the toilet (lots of pain and struggle) but now she is petrified of going and is holding it in all the time. She is very distressed and so am I now. We are now giving Lactulose every day but this is now 4 days and she hasn't gone but complains alot and is holding her bottom and saying it is hurting. I have phoned the doctor here and she says to give another suppository !!!! Any other advise please please. I really don't want to go down that root again. I am feeling so helpless for her, its so distressing to see her like this
Hope someone canhelp. She is now eating and drinking very very well and all the right things
Thanks
Tracey

Replies

• just wrote a very long reply !!! and be said couldnt post!! arrrghh!
    basically my daughter had exactly the same thing from about 2.5 for about a year, we had hell she would hold it and hold it till it was so compacted that it would hurt... and so the cycle continued....
    we had lactulose and suppositries also,
    looking back i think the more i tried to encourage her to go by bribing, coaxing etc the more damage i did (in hindsight)
    i really cannot tell u what 'cured' the problem or wether she just grew out of it i dont know but she is absolutly fine now no problems whatso ever
    hope this helps
    Lisa 33+4xx
  • just wrote a very long reply !!! and be said couldnt post!! arrrghh!
    basically my daughter had exactly the same thing from about 2.5 for about a year, we had hell she would hold it and hold it till it was so compacted that it would hurt... and so the cycle continued....
    we had lactulose and suppositries also,
    looking back i think the more i tried to encourage her to go by bribing, coaxing etc the more damage i did (in hindsight)
    i really cannot tell u what 'cured' the problem or wether she just grew out of it i dont know but she is absolutly fine now no problems whatso ever
    hope this helps
    Lisa 33+4xx