Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Help with 3 year old potty training

Hiya I posted a few weeks ago about my 3 year old having constant accidents. I have now tried a reward chart but this hasnt worked, She is still having accidents, at least 6 a day, she can be in the toilet and still have accidents.

Ive tried a lucky dip incentive where she gets to pick a prize out of the lucky dip if she doesnt have any accidents, since then she's had no prizes.

I really don't know what else to do now. Even when she gets home from nursery she will just wee in her knickers rather then doing it in the toilet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies

• Hi
    Sorry I can't be much help but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
    I know my lo can tell me when she needs the potty and can do it on there she just chooses not to, she will be 3 in August and is very quick to learn with most things, so I guess this is just one of the things that is going to take more time.
    She used the potty yesterday morning and was really happy and excited and that was it for the rest of the day (so frustrating).
    I am just going to persist with sticker chart ( she gets present for every 5 stickers). Unfortunately she has no routine to her toilet but if you can work out roughly when your lo goes you can try reminding her or just sitting her on the potty at that time.
    Other than that I think loads of praise when they do it and plenty of patience.
    Good luck x
  • It is so hard and so hard to keep patient with her but I know I have to.

Some days she's great and will have no accidents then will make up for it the day after.

I tell her she will have to go back to wearing nappies but she screams she doesnt want to. She has also told me tonight that she wants to be a baby and wee wee in her knickers tomorrow. Its sooo hard not to get upset with her.

But like yours she is very quick learner and is brill at other thing's this one seem to be taking its time.

Thanks for your advise and its great to hear i'm not the only one.

xx
  • My god you could be describing me and my lo, I threaten the nappies and get screamed at and then I say to her are you going to wee in the potty tomorrow? and she says no in my knick knicks.
    I did lose my patients the other day and it has done me no favours as she then did a poo and actually laughed at me while doing it!
    She so knows how to push my buttons.
    Everyone says it will just click and you don't see older children in nappies so they all get it sooner or later, I hope so!
  • Has she got some really pretty knickers that she's chosen from the shop??
    My boy was doing this a while back and he had just plain white and blue pants, so I took him shopping and he chose spider man pants. now he hardly as an accident and he says he can't wee on Spider man!!!

that might do the trick??
  • my son was doing really well, telling me he needed to go, even if it was a bit late by the time we got there it was brilliant. then he stopped tellin me!
    he'll start walking or running around a bit differently when he needs to go, so i'll ask him if he needs to go, its getting better now after a few weeks and he'll say yes but a couple of weeks ago i was asking him about 20 times if he needed to go and he kept saying no then weeing in his pants! he even left the room to do a wee in my nan's kitchen after being asked about 15 times!

i know it is hard but try to stay calm as much as you can (or at least until they cant see or hear you screaming!) it will get easier!

i also threatened nappies loads of times, then i put him in one, he wasnt happy being treated like a baby!

good luck
  • I did the same as clare a belle! Tiz is 3 in 2 weeks, and i thought we'd never get there!
    I let Tiz chose some knicks (disney princess) we bought them, she then put them in a drawer she can reach, and picks out her own evey morning. I also let her chose her own potty chair, which seemed to help!
    I thought it was never going to work, she was still having accidents, and was worried about doing a poo on the potty.
    I just started her in a routine of putting her on the potty/toilet first thing/before she went in the bath, then again mid-morning, lunctime, midafternoon, teatime and so on... She soon got the hang of it. She wont always go, but shes happy to sit down and try!
    Weve had real progress with her pooing, as weve found out she'd rather poo on the toilet than in her potty, which is fine with us!
    Before she would ask us to put her princess pull ups on, but now theyve been passed on to her younger cousin, and she calls herself the big girl!

I know how hard it is, but persevere, and hopefully things will get easier.

Good Luck