Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Too soon?

Hi All,

I am more of a reader on here than a poster as normally someone has already posed the question I need answering! Lily was born March 2009 7 weeks early. She has been walking confidentally for a few months, but not much speech yet.

My parents have been saying ever since she could walk we should think about potty training. I thought it was WAY to early, so almost to prove my point we bought one just to prove she wasn;'t ready. So with my Mum round on sun night I took her for a bath and before putting her in the bath I asked if she wanted to do a wee wee on the potty, she sat down and went for a wee?! So managed to convinvce mum and myself that it was a fluke.....following night asked the same thing, she nodded, sat down and did a poo. After her story I asked her again, she nodded and did a wee. She has been with my parents today and every so often they have asked and when she has said yeah they have taken her to the potty, she has pulled her nappy down and gone for a wee.

She definately is not telling us when she needs to go, but seems to know by saying yes or no if she thinks she needs to.

Really scared we're getting into this a bit soon. Next one is due Mar 2011 and thoght we would potty traing Lily next summer when I am off on maternity leave. Do you think we should stop as it seems way too early!!!

Thanks

Clare x

Replies

• I think she's doing really well and if she's showing signs she's ready I'd carry on, or at least carry on what you are doing so that she knows what the potty is for when you do decide to start. Ds1 didn't start walking till he was 19 months but as soon as he was walking we introduced the potty just to get him used to it.