Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

AAARGH :-(

My little girl is only six months old but my MIL keeps on going on and on about how all three of her boys were completely out of nappies by one years old and how I need to get a start on with potty training!

It is really stressing me out - I think it is way too early for Lily to be potty trained - she is only just sitting up and saying her first words for goodness sake but the pressure is really starting to get to me!

Feels like if i don't start she won't ease up and its not like i can escape cos we are having to live with her!

just dont know what to do!

xxx

Replies

• Hi, i wouldnt even entertain potty training at that age! I think the older generation just used to sit lo;s on the potty every 10mins and call them potty trained!! You need to wait until you and your lo are ready and do it at your pace!!!xx
  • just to say my mil told me all 6 children were potty trained by 18months, although Im not convinced. I just said oh right lol!

Ignore her, some children are potty trained earlier but its often because they always poo at a certain time. My daughter is unpredictable whereas a friends son used to always do a poo at 9am.

I thought it was around 2-2.5 average. But someone told me recently that many mums think their child should be p;tty trained at 2. Most toddler arent fully potty trained until 2.5-3yrs.

Signs your lo is ready are: they tell you when their nappy is wet, when they have been and when they need to go. You can introduce a potty to your child before they are doing this, but dont stress out if they dont understand.

Oh and yes 6months is far too young in my eyes!!

[Modified by: Joey0810 on July 16, 2010 12:41 PM]