Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

starting potty training

where DO you start?!

ive got a 2 year old daughter, and the potty ive ordered is coming in a few days so plan on starting to potty train then. how do you start!? do i just leave her bottom half naked for the first few days and tell her what the potty is for? i have no idea where to start!! x

Replies

• Hello image
    I work with 2year olds so seem to spend most of my days dealing with potty training so hopefully i can give you a little help image
    I have found its best to start very slowly when introducing the potty as forcing children into it or bombarding them with too much information and sudden talk about pottys, wee, poo etc can be a bit too much and cause them to shy away or even become distressed over the potty and end up refusing to use it at all..you could start by asking if she knows if shes done a wee or poo before you change her nappy and go for a wee in front of her so that she sees that it is natural and knows what she will be learning to do. You could then begin by sitting her on the potty at every nappy change just to familiarise her as long as she is happy to do so. Talk about a treat such as wearing big girl peppa pig pants (which seems to help lol) or special stickers if she can do a wee or poo on the potty but never force her to sit on it. Sometimes they just arent interested yet but as long as you remind her about the potty every so often and talk about it eventually something will happen! even an accidental wee (just being in the right place at the right time) will help her to see what she has done. Letting her flush the toilet will help her feel involved and make it a bit more fun too. In the summer months in the garden or even if you have wooden floors you could leave her nappyless and try and catch her in time to put her on the potty if she starts to do something....sorry this this has turned into an essay!! but i hope some of this helps?? All children are different so you never know but i wish you the best of luck :\)
  • Our daughter came out with a classic but it really worked....

We got her a reward chart to fill with sticker sand encourag her along the way. It wasn't really having an effect until one day she said "mummy, why don't you have a sticker like me?"

So i got the whole family their own reward chart, and each time we went, we got to put a sticker on our own chart. There became a little bit of (healthy) competition and it really brought the whole process along - it seemed to give her something to work with as a team rather than on her own

We got them from http://www.personalisedrewardcharts.co.uk if you're after some