Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weak bladder or just plain lazy!!??

Well we are on day 3 of potty training and I really don't know whether Shea is ready even at 27months!!!
He's been doing my head in!! He will sit on his potty and wee and he knows exactly what its for but he just seems lazy!!

Day 1 wasn't too bad but its just got worse since then,,, I've been through over 20pairs of pants in 2 days as he'll just stand there and wee in his pants, even stood right beside the potty!!
Last night he peed in 8 pairs in under an hour!! so it got me thinking could he have a weak bladder to pee so much in under an hour when he hadn't drank that much!!

I don't know whether to leave it for abit and try again in few months or persevere and hope he gets it!!

Any advice ladies???

xxxx

Replies

• THough this sounds a bit cruel, I d leave him in the wet pants for a bit .... maybe the uncomfortable cold feeling will kickstart his brain/body to go try the potty .... I ve heard a lot of mums say that the wet pants and even wet bed for a bit help with potty training ...

Have not yet experienced the joy myself, Hugo is just 16 months ... I am waiting till summer time to do it! :P I think then I am gonna go just cold turkey on nappies ... none at all day or night, and stock up with lots of mattress covers ... :P (so not looking forward to it ...)
  • yeah I did try that last night hoping he's hate the feeling, but he just climbed on the couch and started watching telly!! and it didn't bother him!! Typical bloke!!!

I'm certainly not brave enough to do the cold turkey at night!! I thought it was quite a while after getting then dry in the day before they'd be dry at night........
  • Lennon is 3 in june and im this week trying to tackle the potty..so far no good lol

ive just let him run around in the buff..just the bottom and have started to try the pants thing.not 1 in the potty yet but i just keep putting in on there when he has wee'd and tell him pee pee goes in there

sorry not much help but if you find something that works could you let me no lol i was hoping it wasnt going to be as much hard work....teach me to hope lol
  • yeah I have to say Lara, he does go one his potty more when he's naked, so perhaps the pants are confusing him!!

He's been at nursery today tho, and they are supposed to be carrying on the training, and he can't really walk around nursery in the buff!! we'll see how its got on at 4pm!!!
  • I've heard that it's very difficult to potty train in the winter as it's so cold so maybe wait a bit and try again in the spring time once it starts getting a bit warmer? if you don't take the potty away completely, he might start asking for it soon?

• I would say that if he's weeing like that he's just not ready. Little babies tend to wee as soon as there is anything in their bladder, they don't have any control at all so they can't 'save it up'. One of the signs that they are ready for potty training is that instead of doing these little wees all the time they start to save it up and do a big wee much less frequently. Millie didn't potty train till she was 26mths, and boys are normally later than girls, but because she was completely ready it only took a couple of days. It's worth bearing in mind as well that most children aren't dry at night untill quite a long time after they are dry in the day (again, especially boys!) and it's quite common for them still not to be completely dry at 4.

Good luck hun!!!
    xx
  • that was what was worrying me Bedhead, I thought they gained bladder control by 18months old and he's now 27months

should I be worried if he doesn't have bladder control by now??
  • I read bladder control didn't come till 20-24 months or even later. I wouldn't worry if he's not got it, it's a muscle that he has to learn to use. So maybe Shea's not ready yet and you could try again in a couple of months. But that's just my opinion and I've not been these yet xx
  • I thought that 18 months was the youngest that they gained bladder control. Millie was certainly no where near by 18 months.
    xx
  • Hi Claire a Belle, I have heard that girls are better than boys when it comes to bladder control (we're better at most things lol!) and judging by stories of friends etc, this would seem to be true.

I can tell you that my boys were not ready at 27mths, although I imagine if I has persisted and been prepared to clean up lots and lots of accidents, I would have succeeded lol! I gave up in the end, and both boys were more like 2.5 - 3yrs before they were completely dry in the day.

Ds1 needed night nappies till he was 5 (he has always drank a lot in the day) and in the end we had to teach him to wake himself up in the night and trot along to the toilet himself. Ds2 however, as soon as he was dry in the day, he was dry at night (a lot easier lol).

You will get there in the end if you persist, but there's nothing wrong with leaving it a couple of months until he's a bit older. Personally, I have found potty training the biggest headache of parenting!

Mx

• I totally agree with bedhead, it doesn't sound like he's really ready, & there's nothing wrong with that at all!!! It's better to start later when he really wants to be dry rather than if he's not bothered about the potty yet. It also takes longer for lo's to control their bladder then it does to control their bowels.
    In my birth 2 five book it says there are 3 stages of being ready to train:
    1) They know when they have pooed & may tell you
    2) They know when they are weeing & may tell you they're doing it
    3) They know in advance when they need a wee & tell you they need one
    And apparently it's better to start when they are nearer to stage 3. Gabe is only on stage 1,sometimes 2, he's 20 months.
    Im also with Lara about training in summer, january's quite a bad time to start also as bad for drying wet pants and clothes! Personally I'd get the nappies or pull ups back out and wait till summer. However leave the potty around in case he decides to give it a go image Either way don't feel bad about it xxxxx