Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

potty training Q

hi girls, i began potty training yesterday with evie, chose to try intensive, so have taken so time off work so me and her can be focussed on it.

yesterday we started the day perfectly, i spotted straight away when she needed to poo and plonked her on the potty and she was very aware and proud of her acheivement, and squeezed out ( i think on purpose!) a couple more later in the day - brilliant.

wee's on the other hand we got nowhere with. she just wee'd on the floor and unless i spotted very quickly i couldnt get her onto the potty. she didnt seem to know when it was coming to get to the potty.

How long has this taken for your LO's before? what should i be expecting from her? I've not been getting cross with her, but stressing that next time she should run to the potty so we can try and catch the wee wee, making it sound like a bit of a game.
day two today, she has nothing on the bottom half, no wee's yet.... just anxiously waiting
xx

Replies

• Hi I am also on day 2 with Kara doing intensive training. So far Kara has been doing great. I thought she would have been harder as she didn't seem interested in pants and I have been mentioning them for months. She is 29 months. I tried her for a few hours on Sat and Sun and we had a few accidents. Yesterday we had a few accidents and she also done a couple of pees in the toilet and she even done a poo which I was so proud of. Today she had no accidents and and she done a few pee's and a poo. She is telling us when she has to go and runs to the toilet and she seems to get there in time. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

What age is Evie? Maybe she isn't ready yet. Has she started telling you when she does a pee or a poo in her nappy. Kara started telling us about a pee only last week. I knew then she was ready. I notice you have wrote that you noticed that she had to go and didn't mention that Evie told you. Also maybe she doesn't like the potty. What about moving straight to the toilet and getting an adapter ring for her to sit on. This is what Kara is using. This will be easier in the long run but I suppose not all children like it. I also bought Kara step so she can get up on the toilet herself. Kara doesn't like the potty and has never went on it. She sits on it but with clothes on. I think being on the big toilet she feels like a 'big girl'. Does Evie go into the bathroom with you? If she sees you going she will maybe want to do the same. Do you not have pants on Evie? If you put pants on her and she has an accident then she will not like the feel of it and realise that peeing in your pants is not a nice feeling and she has to get changed over and over again. I even put trousers on Kara as well although ones that can be easily pulled down.

Good luck and I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Sorry for the long post. I am in the same position as I am on day 2. Doing well but I know that could change at any point so keeping fingers crossed.
  • I am currently trying to train my 26mth old daughter - I'm convinced she's been ready for a while! I must admit my efforts so far have been a bit half-hearted lol - as we keep having to nip out to places, so I always put a nappy on her.

I do have her in pants though - ITNG pants lol! and she loves them. Have only had accidents so far though, but keep working on that elusive wee-wee potty!

I HATE potty training!

xx
  • I think I would question if she is ready to be honest. I'm a strong believer in waiting, trying too early just means more accidents and therefore more frustration for both mummy & child. Poppy is also 29 months and although she's been half heartedly using the toilet for a good few months now, she's only just started saying she needs to wee. I took the nappies off on Saturday and have been nappy free (except at night) since then and have had no accidents at all yet. I do have to remind her to go but she seems to be learning to hold which is good. She's also been dry at night for a week now although I'm not pushing my luck yet. I'm so glad I waited for her lead as it seems to have been much easier than my friend who did it earlier but still has 2 or 3 accidents a day.

xx
  • freya is 23 months and we are on day 4 and all is going well. the first day we had a couple of acidents. but for the last 3 days at home all wees and poos have been done in the potty, i have even done a few short trips nappy free that have gone well. But we went in to town today for quite a few hours so i put some trainging pants on her just in case and im glad i did because she wet them but im not suprised or bothered. i dont like them any way as i think that they confuse them but just wasnt brave enough yet to go without on such a long trip.

i wasnt intending to do it yet as she is still quite young but i took her nappy off for a bit on sun and she did so well i thought lets go for it and she hasnt looked back, im so proud of her, even when she is busy playing she will take herself off to the potty! so she is obviously ready.

if you tink that she is ready hun then i would just keep going. if she si ready then after a fe days of weeing on the floor she will start to realise what is happening. my eldest was more like this, she weedevery where for about 4 or 5 days then suddenly it clicked and she was totlay dry in the day about 2 weeks after that. good luck. xxxxxx