Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Out and about potty training??

Hi ladies, my two yr old is potty training at the mo. Nursery says that she goes all day in kinckers (dry) with them offering her the potty every 1/2 hr to hour. I'm really struggling! Today we had three accidents before I gave up and put a nappy on her to go out.

How do I continue the potty training when out and about?

How come she does it at nursery and not at home?

A very frustrated Lisa.
32+2

Replies

• I am not at this stage yet but if you want an guidance this book on my website might be worth a look:

http://www.usborneonline.org/catalogue/browse.asp?org=MOU27797&css=1&cat=1&subject=PG&subcat=UPG&id=3364

if your interested just let me know. Sorry if you already have a book to help and inform I just thought since no one else had replied I might offer my only advice source at the moment! image
  • Its totally up to you hun, but if shes going dry at nursary I would be tempted not to put a nappy on her coz its giving her mixed messages. She has shown thats shes ready by doing it for them so theres no reason she can't do it at home. Its hard but your prob best off just letting her wear knickers now and have the accidents. Keep asking her every half an hour if she needs to go and if you do go out make sure there is a toilet near by or be prepared to pull over in a lay by so she can go as they can't hold it very well when they first learn. She will have accidents, this is normal. The important thing is to praise when she is doing well and try and ignore the accidents. You can get her a sticker chart and this worked really well for our dd. She could then see how well she was doing and got to choose a sticker when she did a wee or poo in the potty. Good luck hun x x x x
  • bite the bullet and ban nappies during the day. she can obviuosly do it shes just testing you! take spare pants and trousers or whatever and make sure theres toilets near where youre going or get a travel potty. it took 3 attempts to potty train my lo. stickers didnt work for her tho so youve just got to try and see what works for her. pop a towel under her in the buggy or car seat just in case. its frustrating and like you i was trying to do it while heavily pregnant. i made it even easier for my lo and just let her run around with nothing on! she still does that now and shes 3! maybe she gets distracted at nursery enough to forget about weeing. try and keep her occupied when your out with a sticker book, or new toy. hope thats helpful
    georgette x
  • Thanks so much for your replies!
    Craftycharli your website looks great and thanks for the recommendation. I think I have enough books on pregnancy, labour weaning and childcare to start a small library now!!
    I agree with you both SnS and Georgette, I need to ban the nappies during the day. It's been a bit harder this week as we've had builders in the house and our washing machine disconnected (excuses excuses) but I've continued with the sitting on the potty at regular times.

I've decided to devote next week to it completly. So no friends coming over, no going out and I bought loads of art and craft stuff and new books. Just need to make a sticker chart and buy some sticky stars! Wish me luck. I'm just going to enjoy a whole week together and keep at it. Also will buy a travel potty for the week after when we venture out.

Thanks again for your advice.

Can I just ask one more thing? What do you do for longer car journeys??
  • Sit her on the potty before you go and make sure she does a wee. praise her a lot when she does then get in the car and go! when you get to the other end get her straight on the potty again. if she has an accident in the car, just explain to her (not telling her off) that she should have told you that she needed to go and should have waited til there was a potty available. make sure she knows accidents happen and not to worry, but tell mummy next time when you need to go.