Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Potty training

Can anyone offer advice on when its ideal to start potty training my LO. And I always planned to get the child toilet seat rather then an actual potty - are they any good?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• My first son was trained at 2yr2mth and he cracked it within a week, with only 2 wee wee accidents. My childminder started him by taking off his nappy and trousers and leaving him in just undies (cheap ones to start with them you can throw away if they poo!). He did it on the potty but had pooed on a toilet on and off from being 18mth old - following his daddy's lead i think!!! We also used a seat for the loo for pooing but potty for wees until he was older. We kept him in nappies at night til he was 3 yr.
    My 2nd son is now 2yr5mth but we've not started him yet - his language is limited and it's also a bit cold - they find it harder holding in the wee in the cold or something like that?! We've also got a 12wk old girl and didn't want to train him with that big change to his life. That's not good apparently.
    Does your lo know/tell you when he's weeing or pooing? That's a good sign he's ready! Ds2 cries when we sit him on the potty but we praise him lots for just sitting there. You'll never be so overjoyed at 'toilet' ness than when they do their 1st wee or poo there!!!
    Good luck! Ali x
  • No, he doesnt tell us - he doesnt speak at the minute. I think he knows when he has dirtied his nappies though as he stands by the cupboard where we keep the clean nappies. He is only 16 months at the minute so probably is a little too early. Thanks alioli
  • My eldest is 19, and I remember my h/v at the time putting pressure on my to train him at 12 mths! She told me to 'do away' with nappies and sit him on the potty every 20mins or so! Mind u, she also advised me to start weaning at 3mths. How things change! :lol:

With my second, I started him at 20mths, and he grasped it within a week and a half. I bought some kushies trainer pants to start with for when we were out, but at home I would just let him wander around butt-naked, so to speak! It was easier for him to avoid accidents as he didnt have to bother with pulling pants down but could just rush over and plonk himself down and let go! I found he was a bit scared of the loo seat at first, so kept a potty in the bathroom too, and he moved onto using loo seat after about 2mths.

Good luck! x

http://b4.lilypie.com/QPiK0/.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/K80I0/.png

• my lo is 2 and 7 months and we have just cracked potty training, we started off with a potty but he prefers to wee in the loo and i have just thrown the pull ups away as they confused him so i bought a load of big boy pants and he has been great, the only problem we have had is trying to get him to keep his clothes on but we are getting there. When did everyone get there little boys to wee standing up????? have not done that yet when is a good time ? xxx
  • I tried potty training my son when he was about 26 months old and he just wasn't ready. didn't understand that he couldn't wee into pants! However about 3 weeks later he refused to wear nappies and i just told him that was fine but if he needed to do a wee he had to go in the potty and that was that - he did really well - had a couple of accidents the first week but after that was fine. Has now decided he does not want to wear nappies in bed and just point blank refuses. I have a new baby so wasn't really looking to do this next stage yet but some nights he's fine and others he wets the bed but its not the end of the world!
    my son is scared of sitting on the toilet even with the little loo seat so we use a potty but some children go straight to using the loo - will depend on your little one!
    Only advice I can give is wait for the summer - they can run round house and garden with no clothes which makes it easier for them and also washing and drying loads of clothes is much easier in the summer!!
    lots of luck, julesyxx
  • rubysmum i'd say wait until he's totally confident on the toilet then maybe let him see how daddy does it and he'll want to copy, oh the fun of aiming!!
    jodieg, imo don't train til they can tell you when they need a wee (or when they are about to) my ds1 couldn't do this til he was 2 1/2 and it still took a few months before he got the hang of it. i let him run around in pull up's as otherwise we just had lots of accidents!
    also i would start off with a potty as he may not wait long enough to get to the bathroom where as you can put the potty anywhere.
    xx.