Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When to start potty training

Hi

My son is 15 months old and I want to know when to start potty training. What is a good age to start and how do you go about it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• Best way is too not stress about it too much!!

Wait until he shows signs of being ready - things like interest in the toilet in general, like when u use it or daddy does and telling u when he's dirty or starting to know when he's gonna do one. My girls were day n night dry around 2 yrs but my eldest son has only just done it and he's 3 on the 21st! We knew he was ready and from starting it properly he was day dry within about 3 or 4 days and night dry about a week after that. The biggest hurdle was getting him to poo in the potty but after he had a little accident on the floor, I popped it in the potty and said, "that's where it's supposed to go!" and l8r on that day, he did one in the potty! He's now mastering using the toilet and has even started to do 'big-boy wee-wee' just like daddy does!!

Basically don't stress over it all, and remember, an accident is just that and he will learn from them.

Good luck when u do start! xx
  • We started at 15 months with our son as we're expecting our second when he turns 2 and didn't want to be potty training with a newborn to concentrate on as well. Before starting I read "Early-Start Potty Training" Linda Sonna (borrowed from the library) which I found very useful. It is hard work but our son took to it very quickly considering most people say they have no control until 18 months. We were soon (a few weeks) only wearing nappies for sleeps. Now that he's 18 months old we are having problems when we're out but not got to the bottom of that yet. Don't let that put you off though.

Good luck.

Samantha