Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty or Toilet Seat

For those of you that have potty trained your lo's or are just about to, what are you going for, a potty or a toilet seat?

My gut feeling is telling me toilet seat but then a potty seems a bit less scary for lo!! I don't know what to do, please help!!

xxx

Replies

• im going try to go straight to toilet with my lo purely because it cuts out a stage and is probably easier when your out and at other peoples houses. (plus you dont have to empty a potty! image )

plus they see us use the toilet and not the potty so i thought it might be a more natural concept to them?

but pottys of course have the advantage of being able to have more than one in a few rooms and also take into consideration whether you have a downstairs toilet or one thats quickly accessable?

or you could have both ready and see what your lo prefers? she might surprise you and use both! x
  • I bought a potty and Kara won't even sit on it with her clothes on never mind off. She just keeps saying no. I then bought a toilet seat last week and also bought her pants. She got all excited until I took off her nappy and lifted her onto the seat. She wanted straight off. To be hoenst though I think I am going to stick to the toilet seat for handiness and I think it will be better for other peoples houses as well getting them used to the toilet.
  • im about 3 weeks in and the first couple of weeks Lexie only used a potty but just over the weekend as we were away she used the toilet we have a portable potty and it doubles as a seat for the toilet i really reccomend getting one while potty training as they cant hold on straight away Lexie has used hers everywhere now and its cheaper off amazon hope this helps oh and i reccomend getting some books with stories about potty training we save those for when she is on the potty she loves it
  • Thanks for the advice girls. OH says that we either have to get one or the other or she will get confused!! I think the toilet seat will just cut out a stage and like you said will be much easier when we are out and about. Lin I hadn't thought about stories about potty training, what a great idea and I think I have seen the portable potty that you mentioned, is it called a Petite Pottette or something like that?

Other than story books for you lo, did anyone buy any information books about potty training that they found useful?
  • Yeah its the potette oh and usborne do a great book its the parents guide to potty training it also has info right up to getting them dry at night