Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty training

My little boy is only 15 months, so I know this is a bit premature, but I'm thinking of getting some potty training things for Christmas (what a fun present!!) Anyone any advice on what to get, any makes of seat that are particularly good? Thanks x

Replies

• Wow your keen lol!!!
    I used a regular potty(mothercare I think) with my DS(then 21 months) but I found he used the toilet more as he kept shooting wee over rim of potty(we even sat him backwards so high bit was as the front but....wee willy wasnt having any of it!!)
    We used a soft padded loo seat(mothercare again I think) which was a success so he didnt fall down the loo until he could stand and aim for a wee.
    With my eldest DD (then 20months) we used a potty chair(again mothercare) and she used it fine until her bottom got too uncomfortable and we progressed to toilet.
    With DD no'2(then 23 months) she hated both potty and pottychair so went straight to padded toilet seat(argos fishes one).
    So as you can see we went through alot of potty trials until we found the ones that suited each child.
    I personally would probably go for a regular potty so he can have a little play/practice and get used to it before the time comes to actually doing the business, that way you wont be waisting lots of money on musical/talking ones and end up never using it.
    But having said that I really think its up to the individual child. It depends if he likes alot of bum comfort or not LOL!!!!
    Oh yeh, a step stool is very handy too with little boys aiming at the toilet, it helps them raise their aim a bit!!!!