Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

help - more potty advice needed!

can anyone give me some advice please. Have been potty training for the past week and it is going brilliantly. He rarely has an accident but only if he has no pant or trousers on. As soon as he gets some clothes on its as if he forgets or feels as if he has a nappy on maybe? I don't know.
Its not even as if he cant take his trousers and pants down in time, its that he doesn't even try.
Anyone had similar problem and what can I do to help him - he cant spend every day with nothing on!!
Thanks xx

Replies

• we're having sorta the same problem! have you tried reminding him that he's not wearing a nappy? my little boy doesn't like the feel of it when he has an accident and i think thats why he runs around the house half naked lol he has had a cpl accidents when we've been out but that was coz he was tired. mostly, he does have good bladder control - his only hang up is doing a poo in potty or on toilet!!

good luck, stick with it, i'm sure it'll all click into place soon. how old is he? mine will b 3 end of november!!! my girls were day and nite dry by 18 months so this has been an experience! who knows, maybe with the weather turning colder now, he won't like feeling wet n cold!!
  • maybe you could try getting him some big boy pants that he'll want to wear and just keep reminding him/ asking him if he needs to go!! x.
  • i got big boy pants before i started and have used them from day one - decided to skip pull ups altogether, so that isnt the problem.
    Thanks millie, will just keep being patient. Hes not 2 until Dec so hes doing ok. Im sure your right and it will just click into place. xx
  • Hi Megmum, you are doing really well for training early, I didn't start mine till they were 2 and a half!!!
    Hi Millie, my little boy is 3 next week and has the same hang up about poos!! It's nice to know he isn't the only one! I have tried everything to get him to go but he just holds on all day till he gets his night time nappy on (as he isn't dry at night yet) and then goes. What have you tried? and is it working? Karyn xx
  • hi karyn
    decided to do it now because 2nd is due in Feb so would ideally like him to feel confident about being out of nappies by then - we'll see. not all as easy as it seems is it!! xx
  • hi karyn,
    turning point for us was when he had accident on the floor so we scooped it up and put it in his potty to show him that's where it should be!, then we both tipped it in the toilet and flushed it away!! He has used the potty to 'yuck' as he calls it, twice since so hopefully.....
  • mine was the same and it just took time. can he go to shops and pick some character pants that he really really wants to look after.

sorry to say think you just have to persevere. mine son was 2 and it took him nearly 6 months but I think using pull ups when we were out and about did delay the whole process.