Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

potty training help

Now Charlotte has turned 2 I really want to make an effort with potty training. However she is showing no signs of wanting to. We have potties upstairs and downstairs and will sit on them when I go on the loo. She is fully clothed. Whenever I've tried to get her to sit on them naked she protests.

She hardly ever lets me know when she had done a wee or poo. Occassionally she'll say poo and she's done one. Other times we can smell it and when ask her she says no!

OH has now stated he's "sick of changing nappies". So helpful, especially at this moment in time. We aren't getting on very well cos of what's happened but don't want to go into details.:roll:

How can I push the potty training without looking like I'm pushing it? I want to take it at her pace but show her the way so to speak. Any advice greatly appreciated thanks xx

Replies

• Sorry to hear hubbie's views and that things aren't great between you.

On the potty training side there is NO point trying to push anything if Charlotte is showing no signs - she sounds exactly like Max is at the moment and I am going nowhere near potty trainign for a LONG time or at least till he shows he's ready - the right time will come and trying before will just lead to stress alround and may delay it even more. Max' nursery agree with me that he is nowhere near yet.

Good Luck whatever you decide!
  • I really don't think you can "push the potty training.You can have potties around the house ,let them see you use the loo ,maybe put them on the potty at bath time/
    I would just leave it for a litle while until she is showing more signs.They have to have more control of their bladder etc to be able to be dry.

• Hi hun i would still say at 2 she is very young and yes some babies do show alot of signs for potty training at 2 but if she isnt and gets distressed about being naked on the potty then she is just not ready. I tried my dd when she was 2 and had a hell of a nightmare with it i got really stressed and so did she and it just didnt work. However 3 months later SHE decided that she was ready and has now been out of nappies during the day for about 2 months and during the night about a month but i have done absolutley nothing to encourage her this was all about when she wanted to do it.

I think that if you still show her when you are going to the toilet and she also sits on it at the same time this is a great start and go with the flow with her trying to push a toddler to do something they dont want to i find it impossible. As lara said you could also just let her run round with no nappies (if you havent got carpets lol) and encourage her to sit on it every 15 mins or so until you catch her doing it once you get a few wee's in the potty and praise her she will be more enclined to do it .

Hope you are ok xx
  • Just wanted to echo the others really. When Lily turned 2 I started trying to potty train her, but she wasn't ready for it and tbh it was a nightmare with loads of accidents etc. A few months later tried again when she was showing more signs of being ready and it went really really smoothly- she didn't have any accidents at all for the first week image

So waiting until they're ready makes things much easier for both of you, and with what you've just been through I don't think you want the stress of pushing her to do it if she's not ready.

xxx
  • hi there, don't know if you saw my post last week about the trouble I was having with Shea and potty training and he's 28months next week and not ready for it yet.

I've found if I try to push it he just becomes more defiant so i'm not now, and waiting till he's ready.

The potty is always available for him and everytime we change him (and nursery do it to) he's offered the chance to go on potty and do a wee and 7/10 times he does, so until he shows more of an interest and more co-operative i;m not pushing any further.

nappies are a pain, and expensive but i'd rather do that than have more stress on us because he's peeing all over the house!!! lol!!!

She'll be ready soon enough
    xx
  • Hi hun

I don't think its impossible to 'force' the potty training. We started with Harrison last August, when he was about 2 years 4 months and he had used the potty and toilet a few times, and would occassionally tell us when he had wee'd, but not before.

We just decided one Saturday morning that he wasn't going to be wearing a nappy during the day anymore. We had plenty of changes of clothes everywhere we went though. We asked him every half hour or so and would sit him on his potty to see if he needed to go, and would take him to toilet with us as well to prompt him and to start with he spent most of his time at home naked, to make it easier. We always carry a potty everywhere with us and when he needs to go and cant hold it then he just goes on there. Whether we are in a shop, or in the car, if he has to go then he goes. If we are in the car we just pull over, if we're in a shop without toilets i take him in the changing rooms or hide behind his pram. Most people think I'm mad but toddlers don't have brilliant bladder control, especially not boys. We use potty liners which just fasten up when lo has been and can go in the bin.

My parents thought it was a stupid idea just taking him straight out of nappies without any 'weaning', but it worked, he was dry within a few weeks, and although he has the odd accident our technique continues to work.

We just found the key is to keep asking if he needed to go and plenty of praise, and have a little sticker chart up for him to put a smiley face on when he has been. He picks his underpants, has his own 'big boy' toilet wipes and his own handwash.

My hubby was the same with Harrison, was 'fed up of changing nappies', but I didn't let that influence the decision. You will know when it's right hun.

Sorry its so long. Hope it helps.

Sammi
    xxx
  • Thanks for the replies. In my mind I know I have to wait for her to be ready too. She's so stubborn anyway I wont get anywhere if I enforce it. OH will have to chuff!! I change most of the bloody nappies anyway as he's away all week so not sure what his problem is really...........

He's now had this vomiting bug Charlotte had last week so had 2 to look after today. The loo has never been so clean cos every time he's used it I've bleached it to within an inch of it's life!
    Then he got lo so worked up and excited before bath & bed she was an absolute nightmare to put down. Sorry going O/T now!!
  • Hi hon, I have a vision of starting when Gabe's 2 as well (in May) but I'm not sure will happen as like Charlotte he's not showing many signs.

Gabe says 'Poo' usually before he does one but he isnt really aware of wees yet.

I think we all have an ideal of potty training starts aged 2 but in reality I think many lo's aren't 100% dry until they're 3 or 4 & I do think starting early can cause more problems than not. The best advice I have read is that the BEST time to start training is when your child actually wants to be dry, and that your child will not want to wear nappies to school anymore than you would want them to image
    xx

• hi just wanted to add that i started daisy on the potty 4 months ago and am not really any more advanced than i was but im just getting her used to it as she is still not ready. she doesnt care if she is wet or dirty and wont tell me. but i put her on potty or toilet in morning and after meals before bath and after etc. i couldnt get her to sit on potty naked either so i bought a potty that is more like a chair and she loves sitting in it. we tried books and in front of telly keeps her on it longer but the best thing was a portable dvd player she sits on potty with it on her lap lol and watches noddy. sounds a bit bizzare but its wat i initially used to get her to sit on potty for more than a few seconds . in fact if they sit there long enough they eventually do a wee and it gives you the praise thing to dtart you off. they will do anyything for a round of applause!!!! we have had a few poos on the toilet and on the potty but she prefers to do itr in private behind her highchair!!! im dreading it actually when we start seriously especially when we are out and about!! ut yes it would be lovely to cut down on nappy buying especially when you go up to size 5s so much more expensive lol xx