Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

POTTY TRAINING A 2 1/2 YEAR OLD - HELP PLEASE

Hi everyone,

My daughter is 2 years and 8 months old and is not yet potty trained or even showing signs of wanting to be trained!

Do I keep tying or give up for a while and see what happens?

Help and advise needed please.

I've tried the pull ups but she is no good at telling me when she needs a wee or poo and just does it and I am fed up as she no doubt is bless her of me contantly saying ' do you need....)

I've also tried leaving her bare so she has to ask and a few times we have had a wee on the potty but then other times I've caught her weeing in the corner somewhere or even worse she did the othr all over our brand new carpet!!!

Someone the other day said just leave it, there is no chance she will go to school n a nappy and it will all just come with time.

I guess I feel a little pressure from my family as my niece is clean at 2 and my mum keeps going on about it!

Let me know how you guys are dealing with it.

Thanks. Leila x

Replies

• Options
    my son is 2 and he screams when your and put him on the pot or the loo, and when you say are you going on the pot he always says no! he starts nursery school next september so i have to get him out of nappies then but he will pull ups as we tell him there bigs boys pants and he loves them even though he always does his bussiness in them, i dont think there is a wrong or right way to potty train but there is a book out called potty train in 7 days by gina ford might be worth a read and could get you on your way
  • Options
    hi

my son is 2 and 7mths and hates when i get pants etc out i must admit after 5 kids i have learnt to leave alone until they show signs and then they get dryer quicker and must less stress.

mandy xx
  • Options
    my daughter is 2 and 10 months.
    last week we said if she did not wee anywhere... she could have a teddy form the shops as a reward....

it really worked - we threw out the pull ups, and had only 2 accidents...
    one in bed during the night
    one when i couldn't get up the stairs quick enough

any way we got the teddy on friday night - came home and immeadiately had 5 weeing episodes on our nice new cream carpet...

then we discusseda nother treat - and lo and behold no more accidents...
    she has picked (herself) a trip to the park with her bike
    gasp!
    its free and everything
    no more weeing on the crpet, and we are off to the park 2mo....

i know this won't work for every child - but i can't believe it's worked for us!

sometimes she now has a spot of wee in her pants when we get to the loo - but the though of the treat seems to keep it at bay!
  • Options
    im glad this has been posted as even though my lo is not yet ready to potty train(14mnth) i am due to have no2 in march when lo will be 20mnth and was thinking that would have been a good time to start but whether to wait until new baby is in a routine or not? i thought 20months was going to be the latest to start as he would be getting too old like my mum keeps saying she seems keen to get him on the potty even though i know hes not ready. but this has reassured me that i will still have time. why are grandparents so over keen????
  • Options
    I was told by the health visitor that I ought to wait until my baby was at least 3/4 months old before attempting to start potty training with my 2 1/2 year old daughter.

Even her saying that though you feel under pressure to get them started don't you!

It's such a big help listening o everyone else though. I'm just going to leave my little monkey in her nappies until she gives me some signals that she's ready to start.

She is now 2 years and 8 months old. She starts play group in September but they don't have to be potty trained to go there so that is good. Maybe when she goes there she might see others using pottes/toilet etc and that may spur her on.

Until then I'll leave a potty upstairs and down and see how we go.

I will scream though if I find anymore poos on my new carpet - lol.

The funny thing is as soon as she has potty trained I'll look back on these days and think what was all the fuss about. Oh yeah and then will have to start all over again when my son is older. Hehe.

Leila x
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice. I've decided I'm just going to leave things until she shows proper signs that she is ready herself. Maybe starting playgroup in a few weeks time might spur her on. Leila x