Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

potty training advice - HELP!

My son is 27 months old and decided to start using his potty this week, completely without prompting, which was nice! I've had today off work, so he's been using the potty all day for both wees and poos (I'm so proud!), but my problem is this: he refuses to put pants and trousers on, he's been running round bare bummed all day, he goes for a wee every 15 minutes (I so wish we had a downstairs bathroom!!) and he insists on sitting back to front on his potty! How will we ever manage to leave the house if he wants a wee every 15 mins? How do I get him to use a proper loo? How do I get him to put pants ad trousers on again???? Why don't they come with instructions???

:\?:\?:\?

[Modified by: Kitkat on 16 October 2009 19:44:30 ]

Replies

• To be honest as long as he's doing it in the right place then don't worry too much about pants and trousers. My lo spent the first week running around in just knickers or bare bottomed as she found it much easier than having to pull down trousers when she got the urge to go. When she was able to hold it more then she had trousers on. During this week we only used pull-ups if we were out of the house for a while otherwise she had on knickers and trousers and we took spares with us. He will eventually want his trousers back on when he realises he can't leave the house without them and using the potty becomes the norm as now it's a novelty (especially using it back to front!)

My dd is nearly 3, sometimes she still uses the potty and sometimes the toilet - it depends if she has the time to climb her step and balance on the toilet, if she's in a hurry she uses the potty. I don't mind what she uses at the moment as long as she makes it! We've got a step to the toilet and a soft padded seat with handles for her - well worth investing in.

Just remember he's doing so well and as long as he's hitting the target so to speak, all the rest will fall into place. xx