Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

potty training advice needed !

hi my daughter is nearly 20months im struggling with her potty training, id like to get her nearly potty trained by the time my 2nd baby is due in january. can anybody give me any advice? id really appreciate it email me trish.1986@hotmail.co.uk

Replies

• Options
    Hi Trish, by daughter is 22 months and althought she has been on the potty a couple of times and will tell me and want to be changed as soon as she has been we haven't really started trying.

My second is due in March so I also what her fully trained by then. So I'd be interested in any replies you get.

I haven't been into reading advise by people like Gina Ford but my boss gave me a book called Potty training in one week by her. I haven't read it yet but it seemed to work for him ... although his were a little older.
  • Options
    i'm in the same boat as you ladies, my son is 2 and is refusing to even entertain the potty! my eldest 2 were fine with a bit of persuasion, but my son has no interest, only problem is he starts a school nursery in september (i know that seems like ages away, but i'm worried he won't be dry by then!) and was wondering if any of u ladies hav any tricks that might help me pursuade him!!! thanks in advance rachie xx
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

My daughter is 3 at the end of December and is only just showing signs of proper potty training now.

I tried and tried and tried and in the end someone said to me chill out and leave it and she will show signs when she is ready.

I did just this. About 3 weeks ago Olivia started showing an interest in her potty which I had always left where she can see it, one upstairs and one down. I tried her on it once a day and gradually a couple of times a day until one day she did a wee and was so pleased with herself. Once she had done a wee I then took the nappy off and put knickers on but no other bottoms around the house and started off an hour a day and gradually doing longer and praising her big time when she did a wee.

We are now wearing knickers all day and even going to morning play group in knickers. I put a disposable changing mat thingy on her car seat in case of any accidents and take a disposable potty and change of clothes wherever I go.

She is now not interested in the potty but loves the toilet like a big girl.

When I leave the house I always make sure we go for a wee first.

Obviously we still have accidents some days more than others but we are getting there.

Believe me I stressed big time over this because I have a 20 week old baby and thought it would never happen.

My health visitor advised me to leave until the baby was 3+ months old anway so alot less stressful.

I will admit though, No2's are a different story I am having a mare with these. She will not poo on the toilet or potty so I am watching her all the time and throwing lots of very dirty knickers away.

The trcik is never ever knock them down, just say never mind it was an accident and explain what we should do next time. But always big time praise the good.

I'm sure I'll get there with the poos. Gonna get some advice myself on that one.

Leila x
  • Options
    Thanks for that hun, i might try and start him on the toilet and see if we get anywhere with that!! will buy him some thomas pants, see if that helps!!! i know gettin them to do no 2's are more difficult (my eldest became quite attached to his!!!), but just overcoming the inital wee on toilet/potty will be a breakthru for me!!! lol!!! image
  • Options
    hi all

my daughter has just turned 2 and is telling me when she needs a wee or poo but refuses to sit on the potty if i ask. what ive been doing is leaving her nappy off whenever im at home and then she normally comes to me and says "ali wee wee" or "ali poo poo" and she has either done it on the floor (oak laminate works wonders!) or i quickly carry her up to the loo! Its a bit of a nightmare but im hoping by the time she is 3 she will have it sorted!! good luck all. PS - we ttc again so really hoping she will be trained by arrival of second one!! LOL x x