Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Early Potty Training

I've been reading "Early-start Potty Training" by Linda Sonna and have decided that I should train my 15 month old son. I'd love to hear from anyone else who is training "early" (by today's standards) and what has worked for them.

I put him on his potty at every nappy change and he spends lots of time nappy free but the wees and poos are always on the floor not the potty despite him sitting on it quite happily as long as I'm entertaining him. I can't seem to find any signs that he's about to wee or poo, only when it's happening. There doesn't seem to be any pattern either. I have bought him some "big boy" pants and I'm thinking of buying him some Bright Bots Trainer Pants. I'm sure it would be much easier to spend time outside but our garden is currently to dangerous to allow him outside. Also, what do you clean the carpet with after an accident? I don't want to use chemicals.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Manfs

Replies

• hi i potty trained my daughter at 16 months , every time she started to either wee or poo i used to dash her to her potty so she always finished on her potty after a feww weeks she completly had the idea and was potty trained whilst in the house but i didnt start taking her out till she was 23 months
  • Thanks faithlouise. That helps as I know no one else who's even thinking about it at this age. Not managed to get to the potty in time so far but only started in earnest today. He wore a nappy when he had his nap and when we went out but otherwise he was in pants (2 wees on the carpet and his poo was contained in the pants and taken away immediately). We bought some more "big boy" pants today and he seems very interested in them.

Any further advice and suggestions would really help.

Manfs
  • when he does poo in his pants you shold tip it into the potty and make a big thing about how good it is that his poo is in the potty was another thing i was told
  • i' ve been considering potty training my 16 month old, but i've read that its pointless at this age, as the nervous system between the bladder/bowel & the brain are not fully functional so the baby doesn't know he is going to wee/poo so won't be able to tell you or in deed get to the potty in time. you can get a potty & introduce them to it, so as they won't be afraid when the time does come - but don't expect them to acutally use it properly for many more months.
  • My daughter was completely potty trained at 20 months and my son was done at 22 months. Let them watch you use the toilet as at this age the such want to be like mummy and daddy, also try putting him on the potty about 20 minutes after a drink and hopefully he will do something, when he does make a really big fuss, once he knows what reaction he gets he will want to go on the potty, dont woory if he doesnt though as he is still young and one thing we noticed is boys are normally much later than girls anyway
  • Thanks very much all of you, especially the tip about tipping the poo into the potty faithlouise. We have been potty training for a week now and we are getting some wees in the potty when i am paying close attention and this morning he pointed to the potty so I put him on and he immediately did a wee and got up again to much celebration! I know that it will take a while but I really do think he's beginning to understand. Maybe you could try it too CathyG.