Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty Training - What do I need?

Hello everyone, hope you and your little ones are doing well!

So, I think that Isabelle is ready to try potty training so next week I have planned to stay at home for the week. I have a toilet seat and a step and lots of pairs of pants but is there anything else that I need?

Any tips or advice on starting would be greatly received!

Thanks x

Replies

• We find.flushable toddler wipes a total god send for pooey bums!
  • the patience of a saint! An a easy clean floor....
    a reward chart for every time she goes on the potty, or some sort of reward system...

xxx
  • Thanks for the replies girls.

Flushable toddler wipes? Are they the Kandoo ones from Pampers?

Patience of a saint - where can I get that from??? Not sure carpet is easy clean but can't really change that just for potty training. Maybe I should get some good carpet cleaner in too!

Yes, I was thinking about a reward chart. Can you buy them somewhere or does everyone make there own?

Also how many pairs of pants should I have? Do they go through a lot at first?
  • I didn't bother with pants for the first 5 days - just let him get used to seeing and feeling what he was doing, and asking every half an hour if he needed to pee, and sitting him on the potty...
    we got one with a potty training kit from "Cars" that we picked up ages beforehand, but you could make one - get lo to help you and explain what it is for and she might love it image

We bought a carpet vax and some shampoo and cleaned it each week, but had plenty of towels and kitchen roll on hand to clean up any spills...

when we did start putting pants on Ollie he could go through anything up to 8 a day.. might not always have been a lot but if it was even a bit wet he wanted dry pants on again.

xx
  • We just use Asda's own brand toddler wipes as kandoo are expensive.

We never bothered with a sticker chart and my Lo was so ready for it we only have 10 pairs of pants in total and have never needed more than 3 in a day.
  • Oh thanks - picked up some toddler wipes in Asda today (along with some carpet cleaner!!)

I think I have about 15 pairs of pants in total so hopefully that will be enough.

I am planning to pretty much stay at home for the first week but what did you do when you did venture out. Mainly I am thinking about the car, do you take a potty out with you and what about accidents while they are in their car seat?

Oh so many questions!! This feels like the weaning stage all over again!!! LOL
  • When we went in the car we have a potty that stays in the boot so we can stop anywhere, we also took one the first few times we went to the park or anywhere without faculties. We bought disposable change mats to cover his car seat with in case of accidents for a short while.
  • We had a 3 in 1 tots bots potty for at home which I cannot recommend enough especially for little boys as there's plenty of room for them to wee if you get what I mean. Then we had a smaller potty for out ad about, though sometimes we just took the toilet seat part of the tots bots potty with us. We also had reusable trainer pants which are a great confidence booster for taking them out as they will hold just one small wee. They're a bit pricey but soon work out much cheaper than disposable trainer pants after a few uses. We gave our little boy a sticker every time he went on the potty or toiilet which he could choose to put on himself or the potty. We got our potty and trainer pants from Screaming Green online and I think they only charge us a pound postage for the lot ! Good Luck